Releasing Sonos Speakers after Roon Playback

Running Roon Server on a Mac Mini. I use Roon to play audio to my grouped Sonos speakers (2 x Play:5, stereo grouped, a Play:3 and a Play:1 - Gen 1). Works great.

Then, I stop playback and go back to the Sonos app to play something. The paired Play:5 speakers work fine, but nothing plays from the :3 and the :1. I rebooted the smaller speakers, regrouped and everything went back to normal.

Is Roon “hanging on” to the Sonos speakers and blocking Sonos from sending audio, after playback is paused on Roon? FWIW, I did switch playback to another Roon endpoint, but nothing helped (other than power cycling the Sonos speakers).

The use case: I like to use Roon, but my wife and daughter use the Sonos app or Spotify Connect to play music throughout the house, so I need to support both methods (not at the same time, of course).

1 Like

Did you ever get resolution for this? I’m new to Roon but am experiencing the same problems you are.

Thanks,

Bob

Sort of… I upgraded my kitchen speaker to a new Play:5, so all are Play:5s and now Roon works as expected. I think it was having older Sonos speakers in the mix that create my problem.

Dug this up trying to find the answer to this and since it doesn’t seem resolved here I will post my solution.

Under settings>audio I disabled the Sonos speakers listed as enabled and it released them. HTH