Relocating Roon Core for Long Term ARC Access

There very well may be a setting in BIOS for this, but mine is not set as default. Good to know though, but I stand by what I stated.

There is a setting in BIOS to automatically power on when power is restored.

I don’t use it. I want to know when my Core device (currently ROCK, but this applies to any Core) ungracefully shuts down.

In the event of an ungraceful shutdown, I Restore from Backup, without giving it a second thought.

If this is just temporary what about subscribing to several streaming services for the 8 weeks to replicate your library while away? A low cost, low tech solution.

Most, if not all, PCs can be configured to automatically power on when power is restored after a power loss. If you buy a new NUC, you’ll likely have to configure it to behave this way. Similarly, it’s very likely that you can configure your current PC to do the same thing.

To do this, you’ll have to access the PC (or NUC)'s firmware right at power on. Usually you do this by pressing the delete key or a specific function key. Which key you press can be vendor specific. Once you’re in the firmware, it should be relatively straightforward to find the setting for what happens at power loss - you’ll want to set it to “Restore Last Status” or something like that.

If you run BitLocker on your PC, it’s a very good idea to suspend it before you change this setting.

Personally, I’d probably find this setting on my PC, change it as I described, pull the plug on the PC, plug it back in, give it a few minutes, and see if Roon works without you logging in. If it does, then you have a workable solution and you can debate the merits of buying a NUC versus sticking with what you’ve got. Either way, you don’t really need a UPS though it’s never a bad idea to have one - especially the more advanced ones that can signal a power loss to your computer and shut it down gracefully (though that’s not what you want if you’re traveling).

If this eight week trip is the only motivator to move to a NUC, and you’re otherwise happy with your setup, then I wouldn’t get the NUC. If you can justify the cost and complexity for other reasons, then definitely go for it.

WRT To auto restart of the NUC on power on …

As an “expert” on power outages (Google Eskom South Africa) its not that easy.

When power is restored the first thing that happens is the Local Switch/Router of the ISP has to come up. (I know about UPS but our friendly thieves pinch either the cables feeding them or the batteries or both). Our Cell reception fails during power cuts for the same reason the towers go dead.

Once the ISP is up the your local modem needs to pick up on that connection.

Then your router has to pick up , assuming its already started when power is restored and continues to retry until it finds a connection.

In short a stable internet connection can take several minutes to be connected . At least enough time to brew tea in a morning !!.

Restarting the NUC will start Roon, Roon will now not start without an active internet connection so it may hang

I delay starting my NUC until the internet light shows good , I have no way of telling if ROCK OS needs that connection because any Remote App to check the status of ROCK does need it , Catch 22. I suspect ROCK starts without an internet connection which may shorten that loop. Maybe @danny could confirm that

I am having to restart my whole system often 2- 3 times a day for power outages that’s not to mention Thunder Storms .

Life is interesting in Africa. :sunglasses: :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Thanks again for your replies, everybody.

Neil

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.