Remote Android devices can not not connect to Core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Rock + Intel NUC8i5BEH + OS 1.0 Build 227 stable / Roon Server 1.7 Build 610 stable + Serial #94C691AFBA1A + 2 Internal SSD (one for OS and the other for Music Storage).

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

LAN/Wifi Router HUAWEI Wifi Q2 Pro (Main router + 2 Satellite Mesh routers same model as main router).

Rock Intel NUC LAN connected to the main router. Android devices and Windows 10 Laptops all wifi connected. All devices IP reserved according to MAC address. All devices on the same network. One IP range 192.168.5.xxx. One home network, One subnet. No VPN. No internal Firewalls.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

NUC HDMI output to Bang&Olufsen Sound System.
Chromecast Ultra to Sony TV with ANDROID OS.
Airplay to ARCAM to Pioneer AV Receiver.

Remotes

2 x Huawei P20 Pro Android 10.
Huawei MediaPad 5 Android 9.
2 x Lenovo Yoga C940 Windows 10.

Description Of Issue

Remote Android devices can not not connect to Core (waiting for core……) even after introducing core IP address clicking on “Help”.

Windows 10 laptops have no problem at all.

I have 2 Huawei P20 Pro with Android 10 both, and a tablet Huawei Mediapad M5 with Android 9. I have the same problem with the 3 devices. This issue started some weeks ago. Before I never had a problem to connect to the Roon Core.

I have reinstalled the Rock OS on my Nuc several times. Also reinstalled the Roon remote app on my Android devices and the problem is still there. Certainly it connects on flight mode and wifi on, but is that a solution when it is been happening only since last 2 weeks more or less? Sometimes it works if I disconnect the Android device from the wifi and connect again, but after the first or second time it fails again. I have also introduce the fixed IP address of the core on the Android device clicking on Help, but it does not work.

I do not have any VPN, Firewall off, only one network, port 9003, 9100 and 9200 opnened. On the other hand, my windows 10 laptop connects instantly every time.

It is very frustrating.

1 Like

Hi,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic.

Thanks Carl. Do not hesitate to contact me for any further detail you require.

1 Like

More details: On any of the android devices if I turn off the wifi on the device for a few seconds and turn on connecting to the same wifi network (the only existing), and then open the roon app, it connects with core instantly. When I close the app after a few minutes and try to reconnect to core, the android device does not connect with no success.

1 Like

I have exactly the same behavior with the huawei P30 pro

Hello @Mathesis_Corp_SL and @PierreS, any luck if you try to manually enter the core’s IP on the android remotes? What if you try the multicast IP 255.255.255.255?

I have entered the core´s IP manually several times in the 3 different Android devices. I have checked also many times the bottom link “Configure Roon OS devices on your network” in every device, it appears the Roon Optimized Core Kit address (192.168.x.xxx) and then click DONE but not able to connect.

I have also reinstalled 2 or 3 times the OS System at the NUC (Version 1.0 (build 227) stable, and reboot. Rebooted the router and the satellites. Firewall stopped. The NUC Rock Server has static address as I mentioned. Unistalled and reinstalled the Roon Remote App on all Android devices without any success.

The only way to conect with core but only for one time (sometimes up to 2 if you reconnect within a couple of minutes) is to turn off the WIFI switch on the Android device, wait for 10 or 20 seconds and turn it on. Then it connects inmediatelly, even without stopping the remote app.

I am afraid that this is happening since the last update August 19 of the Android remote app. My Windows 10 Laptop connects inmediatelly every time and with all firewalls on. So there must be a kind of bug on the last update.

I can not try Multicast IP 255.255.255.255 because do not have the knowledge to do it.

I insist, there must be a bug in your last Android app update.

Thanks.
Same here. Happening only with my huawei android phone. Samsung androids are not affected.
The wifi on and off doesn’t work always.
Going to setup on the windows 7 core to uncheck/recheck “accept remote…” allows instant connection

Hi @Mathesis_Corp_SL,

If you wait on the “searching for Core” screen you should be presented with the option to enter the IP address. Does this option ever appear for you? If not, can you share a screenshot of what you see?

Dylan,

Yes, that option is presented and I introduce the IP address of the Core, which is static, on the same subnet and same network, but it does not connect to the core.

Another option is to click on Configure Roon OS devices on your network ” in every device, it appears the Roon Optimized Core Kit address (192.168.x.xxx) and then click DONE but not able to connect.

The only way to conect with core but only for one time (sometimes up to 2 if you reconnect within a couple of minutes) is to turn off the WIFI switch on the Android device, wait for 10 or 20 seconds and turn it on. Then it connects inmediatelly, even without stopping the remote app. That is the trick, but why? When never had a problem before until the latest update.

Hello @Mathesis_Corp_SL, and thanks for testing that! In the option you found, can you enter 255.255.255.255 as the core IP instead? Again, this is accessed by visiting the “Waiting for your core” screen, tap the “help” option, and entering in the IP.

Hi Dylan,

After testing all my android devices for a couple of weeks, I can say that they all are connecting with the Roon Core without any problem. Sometimes it takes about 15 to 20 seconds and the device shows two different messages that I attach, but finally it connects.

The funny thing is that I have not done anything unless reinstalling the OS on my Intel NUC 8i5BEH (Version 1.0 build 227 stable) several times and nothing else. I still keep the same IP address for the NUC than before (192.165.x.xxx) and do not use 255.255.255.0

Does anybody of you continue with the same issue?

Dylan, do you know why it suddenly started connecting again?

Thanks to all of you.!

1 Like

Hello @Mathesis_Corp_SL, and thanks for the update! Our QA team is still investigating the issue with Android devices having difficulty connecting. I’m glad things are continuing to work for you, please let me know if there are any changes.

1 Like

Had the same issue with Sony Xperia 1 ii. Other Android (samsung) devices have no issues, just the Sony. Using the 255 x 4 suggestion worked for me just now. Let’s see how it is over time.
Thanks for the solve