Remote connection via VPN - [Resolved] but ongoing discussion

TLDR; if you run ROCK and OpenVPN on the same device, you can go with a plain vanilla tun configuration.

I installed ROCK on my Ubuntu Linux router, simply as an app that I wrote init.d scripts for, backed up, and restored my Roon library to it. My music files were already living there, and previously I was running Roon from a Mac.

Now that my OpenVPN server, music, and ROCK server live on the same Ubuntu Linux machine, an OpenVPN client connection from my iPhone allows me to stream music. In my opinion, this is the most streamlined iteration so far, because I’m relying on one Linux box to do it all, and OpenVPN is the VPN software that I know the best.

I’ve added this Kindle book to my reading list to better, and hopefully gain an understanding of IGMP/multicast.

Hope this helps someone.

2 Likes

I wonder (it looks like it might) if DietPi @Dan_Knight has a VPN client that would work like this gaining access to the network… especially running roon server with DietPi on AMD64 platform

I have an RT2600AC being delivered today. It was mentioned the VPN Plus Server provided by Synology worked with Roon from mobile devices. I’ll let everyone know if it works for me as well, as this would be the simplest solution for those patiently waiting for Roon developers to get past MQA onto the more important mobile stuff. :innocent:

My wife asked me to check what she was playing on Roon this morning and stream it in the car seeing it was on Tidal…I had to explain that Roon wouldn’t load up the history while we are not in the house…I am so wanting to get this VPN setup working. Maybe I better just start some tinkering too.

It certainly did, thanks a lot! :+1:

Works fine for me with Roon Core and OpenVPN server in Ubuntu Server 17.10.
So far Roon works well for me with my iPhone connected with WiFi disabled connecting over OpenVPN.
I’ll test it driving to work tomorrow :smiley:

1 Like

Synology router with VPN Plus works great. There are a couple values to be set but nothing too serious.

Make sure the Client IP range is part of your local network and Enable split tunneling.

1 Like

It works like a dream with OpenVPN server in the Roon Core server. Used it in the car to and from work as well as in the office. Note that using it over mobile network will is not great if you don’t have an unrestricted plan for mobile data.

What endpoint are you using?

Thanks
PK

I’ve only tried with an iPhone X so far.

There is a VPN solution for Roon that does work. You will require quite a bit of knowledge about routing and VPN technology to make it work.

So the problem is Roon wanting to address clients who reside on the same subnet as the Roon server. If you try a VPN tunnel it will work you will be able to launch the Roon Control program but what you will notice is that the audio zones are missing. The reasons that the audio zones are missing is that Roon (and this was my assumption) needs full control of the device via the TCP/IP connection. So the trick is to make the remote Roon user appear to be on the same subnet as the server.

So this is how I did it.

1.) I built a SoftEther VPN Server on a Windows 10 box behind my firewall.
2.) I opened up the required ports on the firewall to support the VPN
3.) I created a VPN Soft client and loaded it on another computer which resides outside of the Roon server subnet
4.) I used the VPN soft client to login to my network remotely, the attached VPN client was assigned an IP address on the same subnet as my Roon Server resides on.
5.) Once connected via the VPN the Remote User was assigned an IP address on the same subnet as my Roon server.
6.) When I started the Roon Control Program on the Remote User side of the VPN it works flawlessly.
7.) Next, of course, we all want to see if we can access the Roon application from our smartphones. I used a VPN connection from my iPhone 7 to my Roon sever via the SoftEther connection and that worked as well. The issue with the VPN over the Cell network is that you have to be on an LTE connection for it to work.

You cannot stream this over your phone while driving it will not work, or should I say it will work for about a few hundred feet then fail. If you are sitting on a park bench and feel the need to stream music it will work.

1 Like

Don’t you risk problems with IP conflicts?

Also, why would you need split tunnel?

No, as it just grabs an IP for the VPN device from your LAN’s DHCP server.

Split Tunnel: Mobile isn’t very stable without it. It takes longer to find the core without it and loses it quite often.

Is your DHCP server also running in your NAS?

In my Synology Router. Where VPN Plus is running.

My mistake, read Synology and missed it was a router. :blush:

No worries I would think it would be achievable from the NAS as well. I just don’t like exposing my data store (NAS) to the world.

I get that but it’s pretty much the same with the vpn server in your router.

Minus the open ports to my NAS.

Yes but your VPN clients would have exactly the same access unless you restrict them, which you could do in your NAS as well. So it’s more down to trusting your router being more secure for exploits.

FWIW, I share the same feeling.

Does this need ROCK specifically to work, or should it work with ordinary Roon server?