Remote Connection waiting for Remote Core Since Adding CD's into My Collection

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10/HP Workstation/Dedicated Music Server and iPad Air 3rd Gen as local selector; running Ethernet, not wireless for the music server to the sound system/Roon 1.7, Build 528 (noted as latest version)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet network for the music server and sound system; wifi LAN for the iPad; network is robust

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
SOtM USB devices to T+A DAC; Audio Research Reference gear down stream

Description Of Issue
I have finally begun ripping my CD’s to my music collection stored on the music server noted above. Until this time, I had HD Tracks downloads of hi-rez files that I played via Roon on my main system noted above. The remote connection to my iPad was flawless. Now that I’ve added about 200 CD’s, Roon Remote does not connect smoothly with my iPad. I read to find that sometimes firewall settings can cause the issue and I’ve disabled all the Windows firewall components - a condition that I do not want indefinitely, even though I’m not using the music server for any other purposes (i.e., no web use beyond Roon and dBpoweramp for ripping.)

How do we achieve the stability I once enjoyed with the Roon Remote, now that I’m actually implementing my music collection on it?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Gu @Lon_Baugh,

If you use Roon directly on the Windows 10 machine or with any other remotes does it work okay? Or are all devices having issues?

Just the iPad. It pulls up directly on the Windows 10 music server perfectly (and did so also on the iPad just before I added the CD’s – about 200 of them…)

Hi @Lon_Baugh,

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

Can you please verify the above? I would also reinstall the Roon iPad app if you experience further issues following the firewall exceptions listed above.

Noris,

Those apps were allowed through my firewall settings from initial set-up. So, that suggestion provides no change to my current set-up.

I’ll try to reinstall Roon app on iPad, as you suggest, even though there are no security settings that needed to be changed on the Windows device (i.e., where Roon Core resides).

I’ll report back if the instability on the iPad continues.

Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.