Remote connectivity issues in OSX

Hi Roon @support,

I’m having connectivity issues with two remotes (iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2), using an iMac as the core. Roon’s website is telling me I don’t have permission to view old threads on similar problems, so I’m posting here.

Both remotes seem to randomly lose connection to the core. Often they will regain the connection after a few minutes, but sometimes it requires walking to the computer, hitting a few keys, and un-minimizing the Roon desktop application (I always leave the application open). Connectivity problems seem to occur whether or not the computer is in sleep mode. Network speed at both the core and the roon-ready wireless node is around 57 MBPS, so I don’t think it’s a network issue. I’ve also set the computer to never go to sleep, and never to put the hard drive to sleep. Please note the problem was the same before upgrading the remotes to iOS 11.

Setup details are as follows:

Roon version 1.3 build 262
2015 iMac as core (OSX10.12.6, 3.1GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, connected via wifi, 57 MBPS download speed)
iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2 as remotes (both iOS 11, 57 MBPS download speed at position of regular use)
SotM SMS-200 as roon-ready wireless node, connected via ethernet
TP-Link AC1200 wireless router

I’m attaching screenshots of the space layout and the iMac energy saving settings.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi, @Oliver_Mains, thanks for the report and sorry for the inconvenience here! Could you please gather logs (folowing this procedure) next time this issue happens, and provide us timestamps when the problem occurs? I’ll contact you via PM with more details.

Thanks!

Ivan

Hi @Oliver_Mains ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, both are very appreciated.

Moving forward, besides sending us over a set of logs as @Ivan has requested in his follow up,can you verify if you have tried reinstalling the application on the mentioned remote devices since noticing this behavior?

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

I have logs ready to send. Please let me know if there’s a link I can use to upload. The iPhone 6s is new as of last week, so the app is a new install. Using it in the last few days, I’ve been able to get the connection back by quitting and restarting the app. If you’d like I can reinstall on the iPad and test that out as well.

Thanks,
Oliver

Hi @Oliver_Mains ----- Thank you for touching base with me. I am going to be providing you with further instructions via PM momentarily, on how you can upload your logs to our servers.

-Eric

Hi @Oliver_Mains ----- Thank you for your patience while our techs have been reviewing the traces in the logs you provided to me in our PM conversation. Very appreciated!

As per the team’s update, they have asked if you would kindly try testing with the a hardwired connection between your Roon core and your router, just to verify if there is a changes in performance here.

Furthermore, when you notice these connectivity issue, can you please keep track of the times they occur during a given listening session and then send us over some new logs using the method highlighted in our PM conversation?

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

Unfortunately there’s no practical way for me to hardwire the core to the router, though I can tell you that at least the connection speed is very good over wireless: about 55 MBPS. I sent a list of time stamps with the log files on October 29. Is that not what you needed? Please let me know.

Many thanks,
Oliver

Hi @Oliver_Mains ----- Thank you for touching base wth me, very appreciated. My apologies for the slow response.

In regard to the test proposed by our tech team. The idea here is to try and isolate some variables that we believe could be related to the behavior you are reporting to us. The logs the team analyzed from your system did not contain any traces that point to the “cause” of these connectivity issues. We can see the “disconnecting” and “re-connecting” occurring but not much else.

Based on the fact that nothing conclusive was found in the logs, the most logical approach would be to try and see how things function when a variable (or two) is cut out and/or adjusted slightly. In the this case WiFi was the ideal candidate as we don’t know how your system responds with a hardwired connection between your router and core. Being as this seems to not be a possibility, would you kindly please perform the following:

• Please reproduce the issue a few times with one of your remotes. Let’s say three. Please also be sure to let us which remote was used for your testing.

• After each time the issue has been replicated please note the times when the remote disconnects and connects from your Roon core.

• Once you have performed the above and you have provide me with requested time frames and I will enable diagnostics on your account. Hopefully we can get a better sense as to what is causing this behavior.

Many thanks!
-Eric

Hi @Eric,

I’m going to buy a long ethernet cable and look for a way to hardwire the core to the router. It’ll take a couple of weeks (I’m abroad), but I’ll get back in touch with results.

Thanks,
Oliver

1 Like