Remote extension crashing

Yes. Thanks for that. I can reproduce it over here with multiple zones playing.

hi @CrystalGipsy,

Here’s your own personal image: http://image.ropieee.org/20180929-ropieee-for-simon.bin

This image fixes 2 things:

• wait longer for internet connection on PI 3 B+ during installation
  • fix ‘flashing’ progress bar on display when multiple zones are playing

I hope this fixes stuff for you.

Regards Harry

Thanks Harry will try it out and let you know.

@spockfish no change I am afraid. Still no touch screen and it all sets up too quickly compared to how long it used to take on the pi 3b

going to try with using usb ethernet adaptor instead to see if this helps. Doubtful but worth a punt what is there to loose.

Found out that my switch seems to be the issue. I have a cisco 2960 and when a device is connecting to it on boot or just plugged in it does not come active for a while as it always performs some checks. So this is annoying as it works for dietpi ok. As I was using wifi maybe this is why I never noticed until I switched back to Lan when I reflashed. Will go back to wireless and see how it goes when its all updated.

My Pi 3 B does not have the same issue with the switch so its a combo of the two. Switching back to the Pi 3 until this can get resolved.

But unfortunately @spockfish the zone play time is still knackered when playing on other zones in release 176 :frowning:

I’m confused.

Did you use the image I sent you on the 3 B plus?

So what do you mean with the ‘still knackered’ comment? That when playing multiple zones you get a flashing progress bar?

Sorry I Initially tried that one and it would not install at all as the network did not come up on the pi3b+. So I went back to 176 and then experimented to get it working. It only installed properly by missing out my switch in the network path. But then it struggles to stay connected. So I went back to using my older 3b whick works and installed fine with the switch in place. I forgot to use the new image as a result of all the mucking about. I can install that one now. Will you be releasing the fix to the main release of this works?

Yes, because it fixes the flickering on the progress bar.

However, there is functionality in there to handle the network on the pi3b+. Hence i’m interested in your ‘adventure’.

Update. After taking the pi3b+ out of the switch again attempted to install the image you created specially for me. It fully installed, where connected to my switch it would not. Whilst setting up I could set up wireless so now its running on that instead of the network port,seems stable and the flashing timeline is fixed. Not sure why the network would be so affected by the switch when the pi 3b is ok. But to do anything with the network port for wired I will always have to direct connect to my router and miss out the switch.

Ok… can you send me feedback?
Because I’m very curious about the logs.

So to be sure:

• you installed on the pi3b+ connected to ethernet
  • after installation you switched to wireless

Right?

Yes but I had to unplug from my switch for it to install.and setup to switch to wireless If I was using the switch it would fail to get network running and I get the base install which is the problem I was having as it would not install the touchscreen or any updates and setup wireless as it would fail at that one shot network bit everytime. Nothing else has had issue with the switch even my other Raspberry pib+ running diet pi.

Feedback sent, but as I did not use the switch for this not sure what it will reveal. e9d5068d2fadf13f

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

So how long does your switch take to do its thing?
I still would be very much interested in the logs when you install the device with your switch inbetween.

I know it fails then wrt to display software and roonbridge, but I would like to see the logs and fix this.

Not sure will have to check on how long it takes. I’ll try tonight.

1 Like

@spockfish Ok just switched back to wired and as predicted got failed on the boot sequence for starting one shot network. It does boot after this but then Ropieee does not connect to Roon server and now playing screen is inactive until about another 30secs. I counted how long it took switch to have a any activity active light and that was about 25-30 secs from the pi starting up and is amber only turning to green at about 40mins, which by this time one shot network had failed.

sent you feedback da5fbdd6137a5eb9

Thanks for this.

Very valuable. I do see that on booting your unit takes another 7 seconds more than my configured timeout, so I’ll add another 10 secs.

I don’t get the 40 minute stuff. Because for your information: the installation succeeded successfully…

Trying again with just the Pi B still get the one shot network failure but boots very quickly and connects instantly and now playing instantly up. But 'ot recognising that there is an update available to upgrade to 179 which the Pi B+ did before I switched back to wired on it. And I cant switch on wireless on this model as it wont update when booting.

So this switch seems to be effecting both units

here feedback for the Pi B ed11be12dd9adcf5

Sorry my bad 40secs not mins.:scream: