Remote loses core

I’m using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 as a remote.
My Wi-Fi is 802.11 a.c. which is very quick and reliable, signal strength is excellent.
I’m losing contact with the core during use of the remote. Should I setup static up addresses or am I missing something simple?
Thank you!

At another thread, I mentioned that my iPad Air 2 employing roon’s remote app one listening session, out of the blue, lost connectivity and could not regain it. I am employing an Apple AC Time Machine/WiFi Router (the latest and greatest, smile). This happened only once in my experience with roon’s build 154. The next listening session, all was right with the core and remote app. Haven’t a clue what triggered the loss of connectivity. Merely mentioned this again because, I did not have to do anything to remedy the disconnect as it corrected itself but just not during the same listening session. Has not reoccurred since. Remains a mystery, I no longer need to solve. Of course, there are probably several triggers that might require your action to remedy if it doesn’t correct itself. roon support may be helpful here.

Good fortune,
Richard

Thanks, my remote crashes mid session, frequently. The error says it can’t find the core and essentially is timing out. I may try my other WiFi network instead of the a.c. Other than that, I love this software.

Does the music carry on playing?

On the couple of occasions this has happened to me, the music stopped, and I think it was actually the microrendu I use that crashed and needed a restart to get things going again.

In my case I think the core itself (on a sonicTransporter i5) was still working.

Btw I am using iPad Air in this scenario
Nick

Same issue with my Dell Venue tablet. I am using Wireless AC. Sometimes the remote will lose connection with Roon though music is continuing to play. I know my wireless network is working properly especially since Roon is accessing my music library via the same wireless network and I’ve never had any issue with that. Sometimes the remote will re-connect by itself after a while, sometimes I have to restart the app, sometimes I have to reboot my tablet.

That is it EXACTLY!

In that case I suspect this is related to multicast broadcasting. I am not an expert on this topic, but do know that the fix is to disable a setting called IGMP snooping on your router.

Of course, not all routers use this exact term. Do not confuse this with IGMP proxy, which is not the same thing and should be left alone.

Hopefully more techie aware members will be along to provide a more complete answer (or correct me!)

For info, I have not experienced this problem with Roon, but did have the issue using a Naim app and streamer which was resolved using this method.

I have a similar problem (it’s easy to work around so I’ve ignored it for a while) with the app on iPhone5S and mini iPad. IGMP snooping is not enabled.

If my Galaxy Tab A loses contact I sometimes re boot the Tablet and all is well.
I have Roon set not to sleep and cover the screen which closes it down to save power. This way I don’t have to keep re connecting.

Hi @William_Thompson ----- Thank you for the feedback and my apologies for the trouble here. I’d like to gather some preliminary information from you in regard to your setup as well as your network configuration. Please see below. Thanks!

1. Can you please provide a description of your current setup and the gear you’re making use of. The more detail, the better. Thanks!

2. In terms of your network, do you have any active firewalls currently? How is your network communicating (wifi, ethernet, or both)? Which devices? What type of hardware are you using (routers, bridges, switches, media streaming devices, network security)?

3. You had mentioned in one of your most recent posts that you were considering trying your other WiFi network. Can you confirm the outcome of that test?

4. Have you tried using any other devices as remotes? If so, are they able to connect?

5. Are you noticing any patterns when this issue is occurring?

-Eric

Hi @Nick_Stamp ---- Are you still experiencing this issue and how frequently if so? Can you provide any patterns you may be noticing when the issue does occur?

-Eric

Hi @Eric, I have not had this specific issue with Roon; I have experienced a couple of IOS app crashes, but not recently. If it happens again and I can spot a pattern I will let you know.
Nick

1 Like

Thanks Nick (@Nick_Stamp), very appreciated!

-Eric

Hi @tboooe ---- Can you confirm what version of the Dell tablet you are using? Just trying to do some research on that device. Thanks!

-Eric

Hi @Peregrino ----- Thank you for the feedback. May I ask you please provide the following information:

1. Can you please provide a description of your current setup and the gear you’re making use of. The more detail, the better. Thanks!

2. In terms of your network, do you have any active firewalls currently? How is your network communicating (wifi, ethernet, or both)? Which devices? What type of hardware are you using (routers, bridges, switches, media streaming devices, network security)?

3. Are you noticing any patterns when this issue is occurring?

4. Have you had any success using other remote devices?

Thanks!
-Eric

Hi @Chrislayeruk ----- Thank you for the report! Please see below. Thanks!

3. Are you noticing any patterns when this issue is occurring?

4. Have you tried using any other devices as remotes?

-Eric

Thank you for the reply. i am using Dell Venue 7840 running Android 5.1.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @tboooe ! Are you making use of any other remote devices in your setup? If so are they experiencing the same issue or are you finding that it is isolated to the Dell Venue 7840? Thanks!

-Eric

Eric, I also a latop and Samsung Note 3 android phone as remotes. The laptop works fine but the phone also has this same problem.

1 Like

The Note 3 (and the Note 4 from personal experience) is known to have connection issues on ac WiFi with Asus routers. Most routers have dual band, what happens if you put the Dell or the Note 3 on the 2.4 ghz network instead of the 5 ghz network.

1 Like