Remote on Windows 10 laptop makes playback drop out when woken from sleep

Hi @support I am noticing a bit of an odd issue when using roon remote on my laptop. If I leave the remote running and the laptop goes to sleep, waking it up again seems to cause playback to stutter on my main playback zone,this being my uniti atom. Laptop is connect over 5ghz wireless, core is on a hardwired i7 pc running ROCK which connects to switch which also feeds the Atom. In case its of any consequence I am upscaling currently everything to DSD128 which is showing processing at 3x in UI. I am wondering how the remote can cause this to happen any ideas? It also happens if I use the Naim app on my phone as well. Surely the remotes should not cause such a thing?

Update - just turned off upsampling and this goes away so could this be a load or network thing to the machine?

I think I solved it. I changed my router to Unifi USG and had IGMP Snooping on. Turned this off and its not done it since.

And Spoke to soon its back.

Hi @Simon_Arnold3,

Does this behavior occur if you’re playing to zones besides the Uniti Atom?

Can you confirm what kind of switch is used here?

Just to clarify here, if you open up the Naim app on your phone while Roon is playing to this endpoint, the same behavior occurs? Or when playing back via the Naim app the same behavior occurs when the laptop wakes?

Hi dylan
I have not tried to other zones so cant comment on those I have two switches in my chain a unifi us-8-60w which comes directly off unifi USG router and this feeds my unifi AC pro access point and then the rest of the wired network. At the Atom end the feed from the unifi switch goes into a Cisco 2960 in unmanaged mode and this feeds the Rock Core, Naim Atom and various other devices.

When opening the Naim app when playing from Roon it also makes playback stutter like when I bring the laptop out of sleep. I also found that bit even running the remote the same behaviour was exhibited so I am thinking it’s a network issue somewhere.

I did a factory reset on the Cisco switch this morning and reset the laptops network and DNS cache and did not notice a repeat. Will do some further testing tonight and will look in my Room logs to see if it shows anything. Wondering if somehow DHCP got messed up and perhaps to devices had same ip? Although this was not evident in the unifi management application.

@dylan this is continuing this evening. Everytime my laptop goes to sleep and I wake it effects playback. Can you please gather some feeback from my server to see if you can see what might be happening. My Roon account and forum account are not the same so will pm you my account.

Maybe some progress in isolating the cause. I was running virtualization station on my Nas which runs VortexBox OS so I can use its automatic CD ripping functions I normally dont run it up all the time only as needed. This VM mounts the ROCKS external storage as network drive After shutting down VirtualStation its currently not having the issue. I wonder if there something odd about the virtual switch on QNAP thats creating some network issue. Will leave it off for a bit to see if this is a permanent fix, then start it up again to see if it starts to happen again.

Hi @Simon_Arnold3,

Thanks for the update! Definitely let us know if this issue continues to be resolved while this is off (and resumes when on) and we can go from there.

Ok this returned so nothing to do with the QNAP. I think it seems to happen or return if the network to the Atom gets disturbed or it gets disconnected. I have been tinkering a bit with dividing my network up moving risky IoT devices off my main network and had to restart my kit. It seems the Atom does not like this untilit itself is rebooted and the symptom appears to goes away. What I need to do is see if it happens again now I am done with tinkering and if it does, does effect playing back on the Atom from its native uPnP player or in built Tidal to see if the issue is Roon related or not…

Hi Support

I have not been using upsampling for a while. But tonight I decided to again. But as soon as I enabled it, interacting with the windows remote, makes playback drop out. This was upsampling to DSD128 or Max PCM x2 . Why would the remote interfere with the playback in this way? Seems very strange. If I close my laptop and it goes to sleep, open it up and playback starts to stutter or stop.

Is there any way to trace what could be happening here?

Hi @Simon_Arnold3,

So just to verify, things work fine when upsampling when you’re not using a remote. But once you start using the remote, dropouts occur. Does this occur with all remotes?

No only windows and only if the laptop is woken from sleeping. If I am not upsampling it does not effect it. I am wondering if this is something else outside of Roon as looking at logs I cant see anything but I hear and get stutter and dropouts. It also does it when the remote software is not running. So I guess this is likely a network issue but need help in identifying the cause. My phone apps I use for remotes are on same wireless network. I am going to try my raspberrypi in the same spot using same network connection and see if get the same issue.

Hi @Simon_Arnold3,

Does this occur if you’re upsampling for a different endpoint as well?

I have not tried but will and feedback.

1 Like

Tried with my Ropieee system and seemed to have no issues, this is on same wireless access point as the Laptop. Powercycled of the Atom seems to have rectified again, but for how long? I have noticed that the speed of processing seems slower than it has been before for upsampling in this build and ROCK version I was getting about 3.2 to 3.7x times before on DSD128, not its 2.6 to 2.7 x.

Thanks for giving that a try, @Simon_Arnold3.

It seems as though this is limited to just this one device, so I’d like to get some further feedback from the team on their thoughts about why that could be occurring.

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

I will do so yes.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.