Remote regularly losing connection, but no problems with playback

I have the Roon server running on a DIY NAS. I have zero problems with playback.

But I do have an annoying issue with the (Android) remote app, where any time I switch focus away from the app (for example, switching to the browser to get a link for an internet radio stream), and then back, the app spends some seconds reconnecting to the core.

In reconnecting, I will lose my place (for example, I moved away from the add station dialog, but when reconnected, I am at a step behind that).

I see this both on my phone (a Pixel), and on an Amazon tablet.

Is this expected behavior? Is there not something you can do to fix?

Hi @sm31 ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, the insight is appreciated!

Moving forward, can you please verify for me what the experience is like if the following adjustments are made to the mentioned Android remotes:

• Go into “settings” and select “Battery”.
  • In the right hand corner of the screen please select “battery optimization” from the “3 dot menu”.
  • You should see a header at the top of the window saying “not optimized” with a little drop down next to it. Click the dropdown and choose “All apps”.
  • Once the “All apps” window is open navigate to and select “Roon”.
  • Once Roon has been selected please choose “Don’t optimize”.
  • With this adjustment in place please verify what the experience is like with the Roon remote app.

-Eric

Yes, that seems to work on the phone.

How would I do the equivalent on the Fire tablet? It doesn’t have the same setting option.

Thank you for the follow up @sm31, I appreciate you sharing the results of the proposed test with me. My apologies for the delay here.

Continuing forward, I have been doing some research into the “Fire OS” to see if there is an equivalent setting to “battery optimization” and based on the information I am findings it appears that there isn’t. However, I came across a setting called smart suspend that is will turn off the Wi-Fi on the device when it is not being used. I am curious to see if this setting could be having any influence on the performance of this remote. Can you try disabling and let me know what the experience is like?

-Eric