Remote won't connect to QNAP after update to Roon 1.7 (Build 511)

I changed the database location and after picking the new RoonServer and entering the user/password on the remote (iPad) I got the network error. Same as before. Is there a problem with my user account?

Before I login, I can pick my RoonServer, so it looks like that the remote can find the RoonServer and open the login screen. But after login, I get the network error, and then I see in the RoonServer log file that the RoonServer starts a loop of Error, Initializing, Started, Error and so on.

Hi @Marco_Cuomo,

Can you confirm you changed the database location properly and rebooted the QNAP after changing the location? It sounds like you could still be referencing the old database if the symptoms are still the same. Can you share a new set of logs for this issue?

Yes, I can confirm that I changed the location of the database, but same effect as before. I also removed the RoonSever package and made a fresh installation, but always same result. Therefore I thought, maybe something is wrong with my Roon account. Do you have a test-account?

Separate question: do you have instruction how to remove completely everything from RoonServer installation on a QNAP. Especially which directory and files (config files) to delete manually.

Hi @Marco_Cuomo,

No, we don’t have any test accounts we can provide to users but I don’t believe your issue is account-related.

Everything Roon-related should be in the RoonServer folder you specified for the database location. Setting a new database location and uninstalling the Roon app via the QNAP interface should remove the Roon install from your QNAP. @crieke might be able to provide some more info as to if there are any additional config files, but as far as I’m aware there are not.

Have you tried to connect via another Roon Remote/Client yet? This might be worth a try. You can install Roon on a PC and when asked on the “Choose your Core” screen, you can select the QNAP.

I tried to connect via PC/Windows 10, IPad Pro and Android 10 Roon Remotes and on all the same effect. That means I have first to create/connect to a new database, then login (doesn’t matter which device) which gives me a network error message and after that the Roon Sever on QNAP ques in the Initialization, Starting, Error loop (which is also visible on the Choose your Roon Core screen).

Hi @Marco_Cuomo,

Thanks for clarifying that error state. In the previous logs you sent over, I am just noticing the crash loop and there doesn’t appear to be any login errors.

Can I please ask that you reproduce this login issue, note the exact timestamp it occurs at and then immediately following the error send me a copy of your QNAP logs?

The window to grab these logs is a bit tight since I see that all 20 logs are automatically overwritten in the course of 2 minutes, if we can capture the start of the behavior that would provide the most useful context.

Will reproduce it tomorrow… I assume you mean with the QNAP Logs the RoonServer Logs on the QNAP, right?

Hi @Marco_Cuomo,

That is correct, please use the same procedure to send the log files as you did before, but the only difference now would be that they will be right after the issue starts occurring and will hopefully provide some more information.

Log-File is uploaded

Forgot to mention: the Login was done at: Sun Jan 12 19:41:37 CET 2020

Hi @Marco_Cuomo,

Thanks for sending those logs over. I have spoke to QA further regarding this behavior and since this issue appears with a fresh database, we would like to determine if the network is playing a part in tthis behavior. Can you please use the instructions below so that we can determine this?

1. Stop RoonServer from running on the QNAP
  2. Configure a new database location to start fresh
  3. Reboot the QNAP
  4. Launch RoonServer
  5. Verify if the crash loops have started (without being logged in)
  6. Login to the QNAP
  7. Only navigate to the Overview screen, without opening any other album details
  8. Verify if it is still in a crash loop
  9. Reboot your networking gear and verify if the behavior continues

Step 1 and 2: To my knowledge, I can only change the the database while RoonServer is running. After changing the database, RoonServer restarts. So did that.
Executed Step 3 and 4.
Step 5: To see the log files I needed to open a SSH session on QNAP. In the logs no crash loops.
Step 6: logged in
Step 7: I have only installed the RoonServer on QNAP. There is no way to open an album or so.
Step 8: No crash loop. --> as long as I am not trying to connect a remote, all is fine…
Step 9: restarted my networking gear

I don’t think that the network is a problem. I installed a RoonServer (Core) on a Windows PC. I connected the my music directory from the QNAP with the Roon Core on the Windows PC. To do that I needed to disable the Roon Core on QNAP. I could connect to the Windows Roon Core via IPad and Android and everything worked fine.

After that I re-started the RoonServer on QNAP. I got no question whether I wanted to change my account to Roon Core on the QNAP. The RoonServer went directly into the crash loop.

How can I activate resp. change my account from the Windows PC Roon Core to the QNAP Roon Core?

Hi @Marco_Cuomo,

Thanks for looking into this further.

You can log into the QNAP by going to Roon Settings -> General -> Disconnect. On the “Choose your Core” screen, you can select the active Core, and you should be presented with an “Unauthroize” page if you already have designated one Core. You can feel free to switch between Cores as often as you’d like, but you are limited to one active Core at a time.

Just to clarify, you weren’t using the QNAP as a remote here, it was just logged in? And the crashing behavior only started following the reboot?

When the QNAP is in this crashing state, does anything change if you unplug the Ethernet cable? Logs should note if the crashing still happens or if it temporarily stops with the Network removed.

I don’t how to open a remote on the QNAP. What I did is, I restarted the RoonServer on my Windows PC and deactivated with a remote (iPAD) the RoonServer ont the Windows.

Yes, I am not aware of a QNAP remote tool. Did I miss something?

Will test this later in the week.

I can deactivate the RoonServer on Windows and then activating the QNAP RoonServer and I get the Networkerror and after that the RoonServer goes into crash loop. I wonder waht changed between this build (511) and the previous one. Is there a possibility to get the previous build for QNAP?

There is no remote app for the QNAP, it only supports RoonServer (Roon Core).

I was more-so wondering how you logged in without using a remote. I may have misunderstood here though.

Please do test this.

Unfortunately not. Once you upgrade to a newer version of Roon, downgrading is not supported.

Unplugged the Ethernet cable, the logs later show that the crashing just goes on.

In the meanwhile I installed the RoonServer from here: https://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall. But I get the same problems as with the QNAP package. In the logs I saw more info and I found this post: Terminate called after throwing an instance of 'OpenHome::NetworkError' which exactly shows the same effect. In the next day I will look a bit more in that post. It seems to be a problem with the mono app, which is also used by Emby (which is running on this QNAP).

Shutting down the EMBY server makes ROON happy and I can use it. The solution is to start first ROON and than EMBY.

Thanks for the support

Hello @Marco_Cuomo,

Thanks for the update here. Yes, it appears that Emby and Roon both use port 1900 and we are actively investigating if we can improve this behavior.

If this method is working for you I suggest to keep using it for the time being. Thanks!

Sure, that works for me, but hope that soon comes a fix …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.