Remotes could not access the Roon Core after Windows update

Hello,
Can I join this thread?

Last week I wanted to update Windows 2004. It ceases 2 times (78 and 85%) during
installing. Coincidentally or not, but on the first attempt I could no longer access the Roon Core with all remotes (WiFi) even my PC (LAN) couldn’t. On the second attempt, the microRendu in my streamer/DAC was untraceable for HQP in the sonicTransport.

After repeated rebooting, I finally managed to get everything back in touch with each other.

Now I want to try again soon but I want to prevent my audio network from being compromised. Can I solve this simply by removing the Ethernet cable from the sonicTransport before installation and reconnecting this cable after installing Windows 2004 update?

What are the consequences of removal for HQP and microRendu?

I did have contact with Andrew Gillis from Small Green Computer and this is his response:

“Windows updates cause many problems but disconnecting the sonicTranporter won’t help.
It’s best to post on the Roon forum for Roon support.”

Greetings, Bert Dijkstra.

Hi,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

My Setup:

Core machine:
sonicTransporter i7 server, OS Linux, with Roon Core and HQPlayer Embedded installed
SSD-disk 2T connected to sonicTransporter

Streaming device with dac:
La Rosita Gamma HD with NAA microRendu

Connections are LAN from modem/router Arris TG2492LG-ZG and router Fritzbox! 4040 (for WiFi to iPad) using switch from D-link via server to streaming device

Hi @Bert_Dijkstra,

Having Windows Updates done on a Roon Remote shouldn’t impact other remote’s connection to the Core or device discovery.

It sounds like something else is going on in your setup, have you tried a full reboot (power off, wait 30 sec, power back on) of your Sonictransporter + Networking Gear + Roon Remotes? If not, that would be my first suggestion.

Hi Noris,

Yes I did a full reboot of the modem/router, the remotes, the sonicTransport and the streamer/dac (power off, both via the management page, and on). And it works fine now but…

Did the Windows 2004 update again with internet protection disabled and everything ran smoothly and successfully. My audio network didn’t collapse.
Of course, the regular loss of the connection https://community.roonlabs.com/t/cover-problems-on-remote/99992?u=bert_dijkstra via WiFi remotes (iPhone and iPad) but also via LAN remains. I had never experienced the latter since last week. But also last night the connection disappeared via LAN for 15 minutes. I can connect my iPad to the network via Lan. The music stops and no connection can be made to the Core on the ST.
I need to find out where this ongoing disturbance is coming from. Is it the network: modem, router, switches and cables or is it the sonicTransport with the Core from Roon? If it is the latter, it could be the sonicTransport itself, the installation of Roon or the program Roon itself. The material for the network is at most a year old, and it seems to me that it works or not.
To find out if it’s something in the sonicTransport I could uninstall and reinstall the Roon Core to see if the initial setup gives problems or if something is wrong with the Core itself. I can also put the Core on my PC to see if it is a problem of the sonicTransport itself.
I really dread removing and reinstalling the Core on both the sonicTransport and my PC. Of course I have looked in the KB at migrating to a new computer and I will use that manual. But before I do that, I want to submit it to the community first. Perhaps better proposals or useful tips will come out. I will also note the time at the next total outage and make a copy of Roon Server diagnostics.

Greetings, Bert Dijkstra.

That outage was soon. At 5:10 pm I noticed on my iPad (with LAN) that there was no connection with the Core. When it started I don’t know exactly. On my PC there was connection with Core. At 5:25 pm I changed connection from LAN to WiFi on my iPad and there was connection. The music did play all the time. The Roon Server Diagnostics are hard to scroll. Happily I saw the downloadbutton and now I’ve got a TXT.file. That’s to much information to copy and paste in this message.

Hi @Bert_Dijkstra,

I do agree that there are some possibilities here, I would first start off by ensuring that you are using the latest router firmware. After, we should try this:

Migrating between the two Cores should be fairly straight-forward, we have a Migration Knowledge Base Article that outlines the steps.

If you just plan to use the PC as a temporary test without importing the full library, then all you would need to do is create a Backup and then switch the Core:

• Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Please let us know how this test goes!

Hi Norris,

Some problems have arisen and now try to fix everything at once. There are now backup problems, the connection to shared drives in the network is refused. My SSD gave too many errors according to Roon. After a reboot of the sT it works again but the disk is now being analyzed and the sT becomes quite warm. Apparently an accident never comes alone …
This makes me insecure for migrating between the two Cores. I already did a download for Windows and I did see it in the start menu (but is it the Core?).
roon download

If I go to Settings> General in Roon I see my default Core from the sT. and I can disconnect. But what will happen next? I’ve got to be sure that a new “Choose your Core” screen will open. If not, is there a way back to the Core on my sT.? And what about the connection with HQPlayer? I need to be sure that I can return to the default setting. Can you show me screenshots explaining this procedure?

Thanks and greetings from insecure Bert.

Hi @Bert_Dijkstra,

Yes, this should be the link to the “All in one” version of Roon, which can run in both Core and Client mode.

This indicates that you are currently in Client mode (connected to another Core).

Yes, the “Choose your Core” screen will then appear and you can select “Use this PC” and then the PC is the Core.

As I mentioned, you are free to switch betwen Cores as often as you’d like and since the Roon database from your previous install lives on the SonicTransporter, you should be presented with a fresh database when the PC is in Core mode.

To connect back to the SonicTransporter you can use the same steps and select the SonicTransporter from the Core listing.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.