Remotes "Lost Connection" issue on iMac for all remotes

Roon Core Machine

Intel iMac (2017), on Monterey 12.2.1
Firewall enabled, Roon configured to allow incoming connections
Running latest Roon build 1.8 (904)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgrear Orbi Meshed Network environment.
iMac is on a hard wired Ethernet connection iMac–>Switch–>Wall–>Orbi Router
WIFI is turned OFF
Using DHCP, not a static IP

Connected Audio Devices

my Remotes:
MacBook Pro M1 Chip, running Monterey 12.2.1 and Roon 1.8 (904)
iPhone 12, IOS 15.3.1 with latest Roon App version

Number of Tracks in Library

A Few hundred tracks so far.

Description of Issue

I am having issues with both the MacBook Pro and the iPhone getting the “Lost connection” message when attempting to connect to the core in the iMac, roughly every other day. So, for example, the core is running yesterday (Sunday) all day, and none of the remotes have issues with connecting to it. All is well. Seemingly over night, when I return to the office in the morning, neither of my remotes can connect any longer. First I thought it could be that the iMac simply went to sleep over night, so I wake it and verify that the Roon app is running, which it is. However, even after waking the iMac, I am still unable to connect.

The only way I can get the remotes to be able to reconnect is to kill the Roon App and re-launch it on the iMac. As soon as I do that, the remotes are able to connect again for the entire day. It seems that this patter can be repeated every 2 days.

I also run a Plex server on this iMac, and I do not seem to have any issues connecting to it from remote, even when the iMac is asleep, so I thought that this may not be a firewall or connectivity issue.

Please let me know if I can do anything to further help troubleshoot this, or if you need anything further from me.

Bump…wondering if there are any tips or troubleshooting steps for this problem? Would a core log when I am unable to connect be helpful in this instance?

This might be related to your router settings. As stated in the Networking Best Practices guide, “Netgear Orbi Routers
If you’re making use of an Orbi router, we recommend unchecking Disable IGMP Proxying in your router’s settings. This setting can interfere with the ability for Roon Remotes to connect to the Roon Core.”

I’d recommend giving this a try

Thank you for this info. I have uncheck this checkbox. I will provide update after a few days.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.