Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
AMD Quad-core (Radeon A10-7860K, 3.6 Ghz); 16GB; Win 10; SSD HDD
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
All wired, through switch
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Dedicated Win 7 endpoint with W4S DAC
Description Of Issue
Roon team: this is repeatable:
EDIT: this was done on a Roon remote installation on a Windows 10 desktop. The core is a separate Win 10 dedicated machine as above.
(1) You can start anywhere but to explain exactly what I did - see this list of LPs:
(2) Starting with #90. search for the artist. Then click on the artist result from the search results screen. Then click on the album from the artist page. Add that album to your library. Add that album to a Roon Tag you create. NOTE THE PROCESSING SPEED OF YOUR CORE.
(3) Repeat until you’re done with adding all 90 albums to the Tag (I got to #60 before Roon became unusable). Try to do it as quickly as possible, as though you want to create a playlist as quickly as you can but aren’t stopping to surf around or read.
I noted the processing speed on my core to be at 19.6. It seemed to lose a percent for every 3-4 searches, and in a pretty linear fashion got to below 12 at about #60. At that time, searches took 15-20 seconds, clicking on an artist and having the album thumnails populate would take 7-10 seconds, and adding an album to the library could take 30-60 seconds and it will pop a message saying it will continue to try to add the album in the background. Then the Add to Tag popup window would take 20 seconds to populate with existing tags.
At the start the performance is very crisp. It degraded in a fairly linear fashion until too slow to be usable.
There is something about the cumulation of activities, whether that’s tagging or searching, not sure but I think it is searching. I have the feeling that some process initiated by a search continues to use resources in the background even after that search is complete to the user.
UPDATE: the core played a few more tracks then stopped - it still had the pause icon, indicating it was playing, but it was not playing. Hitting Play or FF didn’t do anything. After restarting Roon on the core, it is playing again.
UPDATE #2: Just repeated the process (really I’m just trying to assemble this playlist) and processing speed went from 18.5x down to 6.5 with all the other symptoms described above, including the popup message about adding album to library taking longer than expected. This is reproducible.