Repurposing a 2011 Mac Mini as a Roon Core

I’d be happy to try…just tell me where the Switch is…:wink:

So, are you connecting the Mac Mini directly to a DAC? By USB? We stream using either HiFiBerry or Allo Raspberry Pi based streamers. Core is in a VM on the NAS (TrueNAS Core). We’re streaming crazy. We stream even to an old Tivoli Model 1 table radio in the bedroom! (Purpose built HiFiBerry DAC there).

If running Core on MacOS, set the audio routing to send everything but Roon output to the built-in audio. Configure Roon to use the external DAC however connected (USB, generally).

Apple has removed the optical interface from the newer products so the only choices are USB and Ethernet via a Roon Bridge. Allo’s USBridge Signature is a nice choice to serve a USB DAC.

I have run Roon Core on a 2009 Mac Mini. It was OK but I had trouble with Mini becoming ready for media mounting before the NAS had exported the media share. The media mount would time out. This when restarting following a power fade. Life is simpler if media is on board the Core host. This is what most folks do.

I have run Roon Core on the Mini using both MacOS and Linux. Linux runs happily on the old MInis. And Linux Roon Core is very happy on Linux (what the NUC ROCK does). Linux is a good option for secondary market Mac Minis no longer under Apple support. To run Roon Core, I prefer Linux to MacOS because Roon Core runs as a service under Linux and no user log-in is needed to start or use Roon Core.

In contrast, my recollection is that MacOS would not start Roon Core until user login. I recall keeping a user logged in on the console to keep Roon Core running. Take this with a grain of salt. MacOS is perfectly capable of starting services at boot provided they are properly configured for this.

I recommend System76 Pop_OS (based on Ubuntu Linux) as most Linux releases are either gamer focused or cloud developer focused. Pop_OS is media, engineering, and science focused but also software development. Install is fuss free with no bewildering cloud cluster options to deal with during the initial installation. Pop_OS hosts our Roon Core in a VM on our TrueNAS Core NAS. Pop_OS is easily updated using the built-in tools. Updating is user initiated. Choose the long term support version if using Pop_OS.

System76 also resells private labeled NUCS with properly curated memory and disk added. At competitive prices to bare bones NUC build up with new parts.

1 Like

I had a 2012 I7 16Gb sitting around when I decided to try Roon last year. Like most I reinstalled the O/S to have a baseline. Loaded Roon Core using a connected monitor and keyboard then stuck it in my rack connected via Ethernet to the NAS with my music. I can control it via screen sharing from my newer Mac but rarely do, it just runs. If we have a power hit the Mac is sensitive, it and the NAS will drop off line (the NAS is on battery so notifies me) but I hit the power button on the Mac and it is back on line in 2 minutes or so. Roon service launches with no intervention. I did change out the disk drive to an SSD to run the O/S but that was the only mod. I am at a little over 2100 albums and I am fine with the performance and having it basically free. I do use limited DSP in multiple zones and have not run into any issues. If you have an older Mac and don’t have a huge library I can’t think of a single reason not to go that route.

2 Likes

Roon>settings>audio>select your receiver/dac connected to the M1>click on cog wheel>device setup>exclusive mode

2 Likes

So, quick question. I’m running Roon Core on a 2014 Mac Mini (i7 / 16GB RAM / PCI Express SSD with the OS / SATA SSD with my library). The Mini is connected to an Allo DigiOne Signature Pi4 unit (running RoPieeeXL) via ethernet, which is then connected to my Marantz PM7000N via Digital Audio RCA. I then use my MacBook Pro and iPhone 11 Pro as remotes. Are there any settings that I really need to be sure are checked/toggled for best performance?

Ahoy, John Claude. I have the following settings for Schiit Audio Gumby Multibit.

DSD playback – Convert to PCM
MQA – no MQA support
Volume – device volume
Volume limits – none
Resync delay – none

Down in Advanced

Enable MQA decoder – no
Buffer size – default

MQA is another format attempting to fix something that is not broken. We stick to old-fashioned PCM as I find that MQA takes me back to the good old days of the Phase Linear 700, a horrid 70’s transistor amp.

The MQA settings are off because Schiit Audio uses the non-MQA versions of AKM DACS. ADC DACS used in the multi-bit products don’t have MQA capabilities as there is no market for them in medical imaging or submarine sonar.

Early on, I tinkered around with the Zone DSP experimenting with a cut at 60 hz and another at 256 hz. Just unboxed Magneplanar Little Ribbon Speakers honk a bit until they have some hours on them. Some of the honking is a result of placement too close to the front wall. They need 10-12 ms delay (about 5 to 6 feet remembering the flight time to the wall and the flight time from the wall back to mix with the direct.) Important to believe Maggie here.

Once the panels have settled in, I found I could remove these 3 db quality 1 cuts. Note that my two are a good 2 meters off the front wall and have shelving behind them which adds some diffuse reflections.

I do use the Audeze presets on the Modi zone DSP – my zones are named after the converters, not where they are. I use these with LCD-1 headphones. The Audeze eq cross-mixes channels a bit for a more natural image.

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t even use Tidal (Qobuz, FLAC, and vinyl only) so MQA isn’t a worry. I’m assuming because my Mini is feeding via ethernet, I don’t have to worry about its DAC somehow being used? I’m sure it’s not, but my lack of audio knowledge is making me doubt myself. :sweat_smile:

I like your Gumby/Gugnir auto-correct.

1 Like

hi there! I have a 2012 i5 in use as the core, but I fairly frequently have my Mac Mini bugging out on me and the core becomes unresponsive.

Would you be able to share any tips to how you’ve set up the Mac Mini? Like power settings/display settings?

I have it set to never sleep, and auto updates turned off. I still encounter issues with the Mac Mini becoming unresponsive though.

If you’re comfortable with installing a new OS. I would probably suggest wiping the MacMini altogether and install the RoonOS, less resourcesh being used on an old machine with MacOS installed.

My 2012 i5 Mac Mini is pretty solid even though it only has a HDD and 16GB RAM. Like you it’s set not to sleep or power down, nor auto-update. The key, I think, is that it is connected directly to the router by Ethernet and is configured to do only one thing, i.e. Roon. All other unnecessary apps are removed or disabled. Its display is accessed via Screen Sharing from another Mac.

I was unaware that installing Roon OS as an alternative to MacOS is an option and have not considered that solution.

1 Like

I’ve done this only yesterday with an old Optiplex 7010 SFF. However, I do have an old MacMini 2014 in a box somewhere that might actually be better. But my Optiplex had a DVD/CD drive so I can rip CD’s directly on Roon and then transfer them over to my music storage device.

Here’s Roon Optimised Core Kit OS (Rock)

Here’s the install guide:

I must stress that you won’t receive support on custom devices. Roon only support certain Intel NUC’s (as explained in the first link).

Do let us know how you get on if you do install Roon OS on your Mac Mini…

Has anyone else tried it?

1 Like

You can install Roon core on both and switch back and forth as desired.

Loads have, here’s a Google search so you can have a read. It’s very simple to do and you only need a small USB to install OS on.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.roonlabs.com%2F+mac+mini+rock

@Formula actually, that’s what I did prior to setting it up for a Roon Core :smile:

@Miles_Mandelson I’ve never heard of Roon OS. I will look into that. I actually have the core attached to my study room set up and it is also attached via ethernet. My i5 Mac Mini has an SSD inside now, but only 8GB RAM.

Thanks for the tips!

1 Like

I have been able to successfully install Ubuntu onto my Mac mini and then install roo onto that so I now have a functioning room 2.0 setup on old hardware :slight_smile:

1 Like

Go for Open Core Legacy Patcher this is a perfect piece of software and your old beloved Mac Mini from 2011 runs flawless MacOS Monterey Roon2.0 server :+1::partying_face::joy:

Here is the Link it cost U a USB3.0 stick and lots of FUN.

1 Like