Rescanning the library takes several days + audio dropouts

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

intel nuc 8i7BEH Version 1.0 (build 175) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ubiqiti US-8-150W
Ubiquiti UniFi Switch, 8 ports, 150W, Ethernet, cat6

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Lyngdorf TDAi 3400, Matrix X-SABER PRO (MQA), Matrix X-SPDIF 2, BENCHMARK HPA4…
USB/USB-IIS via HDMI

Description Of Issue

How to disable rescan of folders. I have over 80,000 songs in several catalogs. when the scan starts after a few minutes they disconnect the remote controls. the amplifier stops playing, and you cannot reconnect them until reset the NUC. I’m sick of it and scanning the library takes several days. I think I’ll give up on Roon

This isn’t normal behaviour. Where are your files stored?

1 Like

Qnap TVS-473e, 4 core, 40GB Ram, RAID5 32TB, 2xSSD 8TB. Połączony Ethernet do ubiquity

I have about 70,000 songs and after the initial scan rescanning takes minutes. As I remember the initial scan took less than two hours. You might want to flag your post for support.

I hope someone will contact me

You may try flagging @support

They wI’ll respond now :grinning:

how to do it?

Mike has done it for you.

Hi @Maxxim_M,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties here, I can confirm that this is indeed not normal behavior. Can I please request that you provide some more information so that I can better assist you here?

1. What are the specifications of your NUC? Can you let me know how much RAM you have, what type of HDD/SSD you’re using?

2. You mention that you have over 80,000 tracks in your library, can you please be a bit more precise and let me know what the exact number count is from your Roon -> Overview tab?

3. When this issue occurs, are you still able to access the ROCK’s Web UI or does this not load as well?

4. Can you please note the exact local time + date in your country when you next notice this behavior? I would like to start keeping track of timestamps in case diagnostics will help down the line.

Thanks!

Of course.
AD1 ) Intel NUC i7-8559U/8GB/240 SSD M.2
AD2 ) 80,000 +/- I can’t pass it because the roon has fallen again. I reset it around 4.00 pm. now it is 6:40 pm. and its not working.
AD3 ) sometimes yes, sometimes no …
AD4 ) now 7.02 pm 25/11/2019

I saw something similar with a NUC build that I did back in July. The problem ended up being a bad DIMM in the NUC! I confirmed this by booting Ubuntu from a thumbdrive and running Memtest86+ from fail-safe mode. Some tips here: https://linuxhint.com/check-ram-ubuntu/

In my case, one of my two DIMMs had over 4,000 uncorrectable errors. Replacing the DIMM made Roon ROCK stable.

Hi @Maxxim_M,

Can you please send me a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions? The best way to get them over to me would be via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com link.

I would also second the suggestion of checking the NUC’s RAM by using Memtest86. From the issue description you have provided, this does seem like it might be a hardware issue.

@noris

posted in pm

@support , @noris

I haven’t tested. I replaced the memory with a new one. the symptoms are the same. ROON cannot be used.

Hi @Maxxim_M,

Thank you for sending those logs over and sorry to hear that the new RAM didn’t help.

I’m going to go ahead and escalate your case with our technical team based on the info you provided I will be sure to let you know once I hear back regarding my request.

While my escalation request reaches the technical team’s queue, I did notice something strange in the logs - it appears that you have some special characters in your folder names, for example:

/@Recently-Snapshot/GMT+01_2019-10-24_1800/VA_-_NOW_100_Hits_-_Power_Ballads-6CD-2019-paraiso/CD2/(01) [Shania Twain] You're Still The One.mp3
/@Recently-Snapshot/GMT+01_2019-10-24_1800/VA_-_NOW_100_Hits_-_Power_Ballads-6CD-2019-paraiso/CD2/(04) [Robbie Williams] Angels.mp3
/@Recently-Snapshot/GMT+01_2019-10-25_1800/VA - Romantic Mood Love And Lyrical Ballads (2019) [pradyutvam]/017.  Graham Colton  -  Arms-Kopiuj(1).mp3
/@Recently-Snapshot/GMT+01_2019-10-25_1800/VA - Romantic Mood Love And Lyrical Ballads (2019) [pradyutvam]/016.  Ural Thomas & The Pain  -  Smoldering Fire-Kopiuj(1).mp3

Having special characters in your folder names can cause some issues with Roon importing content (as mentioned in our Knowledge Base), and while it shouldn’t cause the behavior you’re seeing here I would like to eliminate this as one possible cause.

Can I please request that you:

1. Provide some more information regarding this @Recently-Snapshot folder - is this folder configured from an automatic backup software?

2. Copy a couple of albums (up to 100) out of your @Recently-Snapshot folder to a USB drive, rename the media folder to not contain any special characters in the path name and attach this USB drive to your NUC.

3. Disable your old storage locations and only have the new USB folder enabled as a storage location

4. Trigger a manual re-scan

5. Verify if the same behavior still occurs

Can you let me know the results of the above test when possible? Thank you in advance for your patience here and I look forward to your response.

@support @noris
I am sorry that I cannot use the software for which I have paid. You are working on a problem and so far you have no suggestion what is happening. It’s terrifying to me. personally working on solving the problem since yesterday. I think I’m on the right track … I don’t thank you because I have nothing for now …

@support @noris

Problem solved. I have added several music catalogs. now over 130,000 songs. stable scanning, outputs work without interruptions and jams. It took me a few hours, it wasn’t a hardware problem, only Roon software.!!!

Hi @Maxxim_M,

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved! I made a few suggestions as to what the issue could be in my previous post, but for our records can you please let us know what the actual issue was and how you resolved it?

@noris

I created a second identical environment and installed Roon. I compared both environments installed on two Intel Nuc. The problem arose after the last ROON update

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.