Restart required for a few events

Roon Core Machine

Roon is hosted in an Ubuntu Linux VM (itself hosted inside Proxmox, also Linux Debian based):

# uname -a
Linux roon 5.13.19-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.13.19-3 (Tue, 23 Nov 2021 13:31:19 +0100) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It has 8 cores and 64 GB of ram available to it (neither of which seem to be in shortage).

From /proc/cpuinfo, the host server is:

model name	: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16-Core Processor

Roon Core 10.10.3.66.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Roon is direct connected by Ethernet into my LAN. Mostly I play audio over Sonos speakers also direct connected by Ethernet.

Currently I’m playing audio over a Mac OS X laptop’s audio, connecting into my LAN by VPN. (I use LT2P through a Mikrotik firewall, works great when it works, as long as there’s sufficient bandwidth).

Connected Audio Devices

Hardwired Sonos speakers on LAN.
Apple M1 Max Macbook Pro laptop speakers.

Number of Tracks in Library

250,000 tracks.

Description of Issue

I have noticed two issues, and while not directly related the solution is the same, hence why I include both in this question:

1. When I rip multi-volume CD’s, and store them in a directory structure like “CD-NAME/CD1” and “CD-NAME/CD2” Roon server doesn’t always see them right away. (If I rip a single-volume CD and store them in a flat directory structure like “CD-NAME/” Roon server always sees them.) [This problem happens whether I’m physically on the LAN at the time, or VPN’d in. It happens whether I’m playing music or not playing music. Sometimes RoonServer may find 1 or 2 files from subdirectories, but rarely all of them.]

2. When I connect into my VPN and start the Mac OS X Roon app on my MacBook Pro, I am not presented a choice to play audio on my MacBook.

Finally, in both cases the solution is to restart the VM that Roon is running in. When the RoonServer instance is restarted, both issues are solved: CD’s with multiple directories are found, and my laptop is spotted and made available to play audio.

Restarting the RoonServer VM takes a minute or so, during which no music can be played. Is there a way to force RoonServer to do whatever it is doing at startup without actually restarting it?

(While posting this I was recommended to review Watched Folders not importing, restart of Core required which was similar, indeed I expect this is exactly what I was looking for to resolve the first issue. What about the second?)

1 Like

Greetings @Jeremy_Andrews and welcome to the Roon forums.

On the VM you could chose to restart the Roon server process instead. That would need SSH access to the VM and from a terminal with root/sudo privileges try:

cfw@roon:~$ sudo systemctl restart roonserver.service

Or

cfw@roon:~$ sudo service roonserver restart

You could speed up further by running the command via SSH, e.g.

ssh cfw@roonbox 'service roonserver restart'

Where cfw == your account name and roonbox == server name/ip address of the vm.

Happy hunting.

Thanks – I originally was restarting the process directly on the server, but it seemed to take about as long for the process to return – restarting the VM is rather quick, the RoonServer process is what takes longer.

Mostly I’m wondering if there’s a way to force network discovery without restarting the server process?

Restarting a service shouldn’t take longer than a reboot, sounds iffy. You could try restarting the networking service instead? Replace roonserver with networking and see what happens?

In my setup Roon is installed inside a container managed by Proxmox, and they really do restart absurdly quickly. :slight_smile: I do a restart versus ssh’ing in as it’s just so easy from the web browser, but in any case my goal was to find a solution that didn’t require restarting anything. It seems this isn’t possible?

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.