Restore Backup to Nucleus

Hi,

I’ve been using Roon with an iMac as the core.

I have now bought a Nucleus and am trying to set it up. All goes well until I try to restore the backup I made from the iMac onto a memory stick which I have now inserted into the Nucleus.

However it doesn’t show in the list of folders. In fact the only folder that shows is Dropbox and there is no facility to browse other folders.

I tried copying the backup folder to Dropbox but it won’t restore from there either.

Help please!

Restore only restores the roon database / settings.

You will still need to set up network folders, or add internal / external disks and transfer your files.

Thanks Greg. I understand that but I can’t even browse to the backup on the memory stick. I get the attached screen

No possibility to browse to the memory stick which is in the back of the nucleus.

It’s possible the memory stick is formatted in a way the Nucleus can’t read - it can’t read the native Mac formats

If your music is stored on an external USB drive, plug it into your Nucleus now. Nucleus supports USB drives pre-formatted as EXT2/3/4, VFAT/FAT32/FAT16/exFAT, NTFS, or HFS/HFS+. Note that HFS/HFS+ (also known as “Mac OS Journaled”) is read-only, which means that the Nucleus will not be able to make changes or store new music on the USB drive.

I think the OP is implying that he successfully used Roon’s Backup to create what he is trying to restore with Roon’s Restore. Is that true, @Arthur_QA ?

The info quoted deals with music files. I think Roon’s Backup/Restore is platform agnostic.

Thanks Guys. That’s correct. I successfully backed up to the memory stick but the nucleus would not “see” the memory stick.

But, being impatient by nature and not familiar with how it all works, I overcame the problem by ignoring a backup and starting a fresh core on the nucleus. I’ve lost my playlists but I had very few and don’t generally use them. My music streamed from Qobuz has successfully shown up on the nucleus and I’ve added the music I have as downloads.

So all working fine now but there should be a helpline direct to Roon to help people set up and other problems.

Thanks again Greg and Form is Emptiness.

Have a great Christmas.

2 Likes

I spoke too soon! I have got it all set up and working but am now trying to set up BackUps but there is now “Browse” button to find a BackUp destination.

I would like the backups to go to the documents folder on my iMac.

The only folder that shows up is Dropbox.

If I click Add network share I get the second screenshot but I have no idea what to enter as a path?

Any help much appreciated.

I’m not familiar with Apple computers, but in Windows I start from the other end. Go into your computer and set up the folder and determine the path to your Nucleus, etc. Then input that on the Nucleus to set up your automated backups.

You need to set up an SMB network share on your Mac.

Start in settings/sharing

You may also need to turn on the windows compatability option.

The Mac will display the share name eg //machine/name

I found having names with spaces didn’t work.

I ended up having to set up a special user for roon (also with no spaces).

Good luck!

It would be easier to purchase a USB HDD and plug it into your Nucleus. Use it just for Roon backups. It’s always there, always available, and easy to move to another device if needed.

In the end I decided to backup to Dropbox which was an option that was there already. Seems to be working well but why Roon can’t have a better explanation in their instructions and a helpline, I don’t know. It’s a good system but not too customer service.

Thanks for you help in the meantime.