Restore from Backup

Roon Core Machine

ROCK, NUC8i7BEH, Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/S, Transcend 128GB Nvme PCIe Gen3 X4 MTE110S M.2 SSD Solid State Drive

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet to NUC: Google WiFi, TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Switch, Synology DS920+

Connected Audio Devices

MacBook Pro, iPhone 12, Chord Mojo2/Poly, Chromecast Audio

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I restored my Roon library many times. My last attempt (which I have done a few times today and yesterday) has not been successful. Here are my steps:

1. Go into Backup Manager

2. Select a recent backup

3. After the successful restore, I attempt to select my Core which is not found…

4. Until I quit and relaunch Roon

5. Roon then asks me to login as if none of my credentials have been preserved.

6. I enter my credentials and login, but then see that none of my music files have been loaded and I’m as

ked to add files (that are stored on my Synology NAS)

7. I am required to add a new network share as my previously entered location is not (i.e., never has been) shown

8. I select the music folder and…

9. Roon begins to add the files to my newly created library (21 albums loaded so far). This takes ~30 minutes to fully add all files.

10. Once completed, I see my entire library with all albums “added today”…

11. And nearly all my tags are all missing

In previous restores (which seems to be required every time I power down the NUC) I have been able to follow a similar path with few bumps along the way and my tags, etc. have all been restored. But not this time around.

Guidance please?

Did you try another Backup and if so how far back?

Since you appear to have done everything correctly, I am tagging @support as this seems to be another freaking problem with what should be key part of Roon’s ecosystem, i.e. sanctity of the database.

That shouldn’t be the case. Do you shutdown from the ROCK’s Web GUI?

OTOH, why power down at all?

You’ve obviously got something majorly wrong with your system somewhere.

Why on earth are you doing step 2 - using the file browser to dive into the file system and fish out (what you hope will be) a backup file?

You simply click on the relevant “Restore” link in step 1…

I suspect that this is the cause of your issue…

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments so far.

@xxx:
Did you try another Backup and if so how far back?

Since you appear to have done everything correctly, I am tagging @support as this seems to be another freaking problem with what should be key part of Roon’s ecosystem, i.e. sanctity of the database.

Yes, I tried multiple versions- all with the same results. Thanks for tagging @support. Thought I did that.

@Geoff_Coupe
Why on earth are you doing step 2 - using the file browser to dive into the file system and fish out (what you hope will be) a backup file?

You simply click on the relevant “Restore” link in step 1…

I suspect that this is the cause of your issue…

I realized that I flipped the two images (image 2 should appear first). Here is the process I used (without screenshots):
Settings => Backups => Find Backups => Choose folder that contains your backup

“Find Backups” brought up image 2: Select a recent backup
“Choose folder that contains your backup” brought up image 1: Go into Backup Manager

And from there I chose one, and then another, of the backups profiled in image 1.

This trouble begins when you shutdown ROCK, right?

I ask again, do you use the GUI to do that?

Yes.

I shut down ROCK as I had to move the NUC (and will need to do so again next week- moving to a new residence). I used the GUI to do so.

Ok, needing to restore the database seemingly every time after you shut down ROCK points to other problems.

Dunno.

Ah, OK, but it’s not necessary to use the File Browser to access backups taken by Scheduled Backups. Access them directly from the “3 dots” menu in the Scheduled Backups screen:

Try this route to restore a backup and see if it makes any difference.

BTW, what you are seeing in steps 3 and 4 (needing to quit and relaunch the Roon client) is a known issue - I believe it is caused by the recent change made in how clients connect to the Core. It’s been reported to Roon Labs.

After trying a few things over the last couple of days, I launched the web interface and despite the warnings, I reset the Roon database & settings (and did a few other things that I can’t recall).

(note- the image is from here as my NAS and NUC are both down in prep for my move tomorrow)

While I need to do a deeper diver, my tagged albums are back and is my play history, so whatever I did, I think I may have fixed it. :grinning:

Thanks to all!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.