Restore Function Fails Numerous Times

Noris:

For item 2), I’m not 100% sure what you want me to do.

On the HTPC, are you asking me to rename the existing Roon database and try the restore from the USB key?

For item 1), I deleted old ROON backups but I’m sure I can find some on my backup NAS. How do I locate backups from version 1.6 - anything specific to look for?

Thanks,
Herb…

Thanks,
Herb…

Hi @Herb_Goedecke,

Yes, the test here is to see if the backup you created for the SonicTransporter restores properly on the HTPC. If it does/doesn’t please send a log package after the restore was attempted.

If you have the Roon backups saved to your NAS, pointing Roon to the backup directory will provide a listing of your older backups and what version they were created in. This was just an information question right now, I just wanted to double check if you did have older backups at all.

I suggest we proceed with testing the USB-created backup on the HTPC on a fresh database and verify if that restores as expected on HTPC.

What about the folder “RAAT Server”? Should this be renamed “_OLD” as well?

@Herb_Goedecke - RAATServer contains information regarding the audio settings, it doesn’t contain your database. You could rename if if you wish, but it wouldn’t impact the restore test.

Noris:

I am pleased to report that the HTPC backup & restore on the HTPC was successful. Roon relaunched and everything was in good order … right down to the track that I was last playing. A correct and accurate backup.

Please advise on next steps.

Thanks,
Herb…

Noris:

For item 1), I searched through my backup archive and the most recent version available, other than the latest version 1.7 backups, is from March, 2019 Version 1.4 (build 306).

I cannot find any backups for version 1.6.

Hi @Herb_Goedecke,

This is a good sign, can I please request that you send me a copy of the HTPC logs from this restore? I’d like QA to make sure the logs also match up with the successful backup + restore and that there aren’t any traces which are visible in the original SonicTransporter restore logs.

That backup is quite a bit older than I thought, I’ll note this on your case files in case this backup is needed for testing. As for next steps, let’s check the logs as I mentioned above.

The Log files are in the Dropbox folder, dated Jan 15, 2020. I included the Log files for the “Roon_OLD” files as well, in case they were needed.

Hi @Herb_Goedecke,

Thanks for sending those logs over, I took a look through them and I’m not seeing any backup errors, but have forwarded them to QA to double check.

One interesting aspect here would be to know if any backups made from the HTPC fail to restore on the SonicTransporter.

I realize you have done a significant amount of troubleshooting so far, so I thank you for that. Our next test here would be as follows:

• Set the database aside on the HTPC to have a fresh database in place as you have done before (Roon -> Roon_old)

• Add a very small subset of your albums to the fresh HTPC database (under 100 albums)

• Create a fresh backup to a new folder on the USB drive of this smaller database

• Try restoring this small database to the SonicTransporter via the USB drive

Can you please give that a try and let me know if it works?

Hi Noris:

We’ve done at least a dozen restore attempts to the SonicTransporter using the HTPC backups. Each time, the restore fails at the 21% restore point.

However, I have not tried restoring a smaller database.

Question:

How would I limit the fresh HTPC database to 100 albums? Once I link the Music Folder on the NAS, Roon automatically starts adding albums.

Thanks,
Herb…

Hi @Herb_Goedecke,

If you start the fresh database and set Roon to “watch” just one of the folder subsets in Roon Settings -> Storage, this should only import the smaller folder subset. I would disable the general “Music” directory and leave just the smaller subset in the Storage settings.

Noris:

I was successful in setting up a temporary folder on the NAS called “Roon” which I populated with 120 albums. The backup of the HTPC was succesful.

Turning off Roon on the HTPC, and switching the SonicTransporter back on, I plugged the USB key into the STi9. The Restore to the SonicTransporter was successful!

Feeling emboldened, I then tried to restore the backup of the full Roon HTPC backup (which is still on the USB key) and the restore failed … but this time it went past the normal 21% fail point and instead failed at the 48% point.

I wonder why the restore went twice as long this time when normally it would fail at 21%?

I was not able to verify if the Roon database (containing the 120 albums) was correctly restored to the SonicTransporter i9 as I was getting a warning message that I could not authorize the SonicTransporter without de-authorizing the HTPC. I didn’t want to do that without understanding the implications.

I suppose we are making progress. Clearly there is some kind of issue with the SonicTransporter and the SIZE of my Roon database. We’ve established that the HTPC has no problem with backup/restore of my ROON database. We’ve also established that the SonicTransporter i9 CAN accommodate the restoration of a smaller ROON database.

I await your next instructions.

Hi @Herb_Geodecke,

Thanks for confirming the smaller database restored properly.

You are free to un-authorize and re-authroize Cores without issue. Since you have one Roon license, you are limited to one “active” Roon Core at a time, but like I mentioned you can free free to switch between them.

Let’s try logging into the SonicTransporter to verify that the database restored properly and that your albums are there. Note: You may also have to double check that the path to the media library is correct in Roon Settings -> Storage (in case the HTPC was referencing local media files).

If you can confirm that the smaller database restored properly, I’d like to get your full library backup over to QA for analysis. How large in terms of size is the full library backup? A few GBs?

Hi Noris:

Thanks for responding.

I logged into the SonicTransporter i9, de-authorized the HTPC, and - voila - all 120 albums from the small HTPC backup (taken from the temp NAS folder) are there. Everything looks good.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. I restored the files from the Lexar USB key as that is where the HTPC backup was stored. Did you want me to check something else?

The USB key has a folder called “Roon” which contains both HTPC Roon backups: the 120 Album “test backup” and the full, “regular backup”. The older backup contains the full, Roon database.

It appears to be about 5GB:

I’ve copied this folder to the shared Dropbox folder. Please advise on next steps.

Hi @Herb_Goedecke,

Thanks for the additional info.

Thanks for sending this over, I will let QA know. Just to confirm, you uploaded both the smaller backup and the larger (older) backup to Dropbox, correct? I was more interested in getting the older backup over to QA to see if there are any issues when restoring on their end.

Yes, both backups are in Dropbox. Look for the large, older backup as that is the original, HTPC Roon database.

1 Like

Noris:

Please advise on next steps. I’m hoping we can get resolution to why this is failing
very soon.

Hi @Herb_Goedecke,

As for next steps, I have sent your old backup to QA for analysis and it is currently in the review queue. Once they have taken a look at the backup we should have some more information and next steps.

I appreciate your patience while this reaches their queue and as soon as I have an update for you I will be sure to let you know, thanks!

OK … please give me an update at the end of the week on the status of the queue.

Hi @Herb_Goedecke,

I just spoke to QA, it appears that there are some issues downloading the database you uploaded, Dropbox can’t compress the .zip because there are too many files.

QA has requested if you could please compress the following into a .zip archive and try to re-upload it to Dropbox?

• The backup, which does not work on ST, zipped into an archive

• The original HTPC Database folder as a separate zip archive. This would be the entire Roon or RoonServer folder from the HTPC, more explicit instructions can be found here.

As for the Roon Backup you have from v1.4, how much of your current database would you say it contains? QA has noted that the restore from v1.4 should theoretically restore as expected. It may take a bit to update the database, but as a last case scenario we can try using this backup (you can even try in the meantime after you send the one from the HTPC if you wish).