Restore Roon Backup on Existing Core (overwrite db)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

RHAT 7 / HP ML350 Gen 8 / 1.7 build 571

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Network is not applicable for this case

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Lots of audio devices not applicable for this case

Description Of Issue

My server lost power and upon reboot Roon clients reported there was no core. It asked if I wanted to find a new core and I said yes. To my surprise lab1 (name of my core) was available as a new core. Without thinking I clicked on this only to find out it was being treated as a new core. I do not know what happened to my database or why lab1 would not display my data. I reconfigured the storage and rescanned but then realized by playlists were missing which is unacceptable.

So now I want to restore from a backup (from my previous core) because somehow I have no backups from lab1. How do I make lab1 think its new so that I can restore my old database with my playlists.

I figured this out. Root cause was changing the location of the ROON_DATAROOT variable without ever reloading roon or refreshing the daemon. So when the server rebooted it read the new location of the variable looking for a db there. Of Course it found none.

I was able to repoint back to the original location /var/roon , restart roon which makes it look like a new core once again. I get prompted to relog into the roon account (always scary) but this time my db and playlists are there.

This brings me to the next question. I obviously intended to move the database (to faster disk) Is there a safe procedure for this on linux?

Hi @Troy_Reece,

Glad to hear you’re back up and running, yes you’ll want to make sure that Roon folders are persistent.

I would create a Backup of your database in the Roon app, set the new database location and then restore it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.