Restore taking ages - how can I tell its working?

I just rebuilt my Win10 NUC core with ROCK, which was a nice smooth build. However, trying to restore from my Roon backup is proving to be problematic.

I kicked off a restore yesterday morning & it’s just sat there for 24 hours with no visible effect in Roon itself. Still no playlists available, no tags etc.

There’s no indication of how the restore is progressing, or whether it’s working at all. Should it really take so long? I’d also like to see the ability to restore particular aspects such as playlists on their own, which presumably would be very quick.

That ain’t right. Unless you are backing up from a poorly performing cloud service you should be done in tens of minutes to a couple of hours depending on the size of your library.

Hmm that’s what I feared. On the other hand, I can see network access upstream from the backup source (my PC), though it’s only transferring at a rate of around 280kB/s (gigabit local network), which is going to take an age considering my backup folder is 11GB! Incidentally, this does seem enormous for a backup of around 4500 tracks.

I’d appreciate a view from @support please on whether this is all normal behaviour? I’m really concerned I’m going to lose all my custom config that I’ve built up over the past couple of years. Thanks.

[quote=“pedalhead, post:3, topic:26901”]
11GB! Incidentally, this does seem enormous for a backup of around 4500 tracks.
[/quote]That does seem a little large, compared to others see:

I explained the structure of the backup folder here:

What is the size of just objects folder in your back?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @Carl . My objects folder is huge…>11GB

I’ve got a list full directory listing of /objects but it won’t let me attach it to this post (wrong file type).

Many thanks for looking into this for me.

I once found a large backup because I had set up the backup file to be part of what was backed up. So for every backup, the size of the backup doubled.

My Synology NAS has a really bad sync utility that once caused that effect too. I had four six-TB drives, and the 24 TB filled up…

So take a look in the directory…

1 Like

Oops, I realise I mis-typed earlier. I have around 4500 albums, not tracks :slight_smile:. Approx 53k tracks. Still, my backup sounds way too big compared to others.

@AndersVinberg - thanks for the input. I don’t think I’ve been backing up the backup, but my objects folder does have 109,775 subfolders! Bonkers.

Yeah. I have 30k tracks, a fresh backup is about 2 GB.

Yeah, something wrong with mine. Hopefully @Carl & @support will be able to get to the bottom of it :slight_smile:

Hi @pedalhead ----- Thank you for the report and more importantly the feedback, both are very appreciated.

Moving forward, we would like to have a look at your logs to see if we can determine what is causing this behavior to occur. Please follow the instructions found here and dump us a set of logs.

-Eric

2 Likes

Hi Eric,

Thanks for helping out. I’ve zipped up my logs & stashed them here…

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark (@pedalhead) ---- Thank you for the follow up! Confirming that I have received your logs and placed them in our queue to be evaluated by a member of our tech team.

Once the team has completed their analysis, I will be sure to provide with an update containing their thoughts/findings. Your patience is greatly appreciated!

-Eric

1 Like

Hi @pedalhead ---- Thank you again for your patience while our team has been looking into this issue for you.

As per the request of our QA department, do you have a Linux or MacOS machine where you can run a terminal command from?

-Eric

Hi Eric. Well, I have a couple of Raspberry Pi’s running Linux, if that counts? Everything else here is Windows.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi @pedalhead ----- Thank you for your patience and my apologies for the slow response.

Moving forward, our tech team has asked me to have you please perform the following:

1. Please download dirSize app (2.05).

2. Once installed, please launch the application then press Ctrl-S and choose RoonBackUp directory.

3. Expand the directories to the level, that is shown in the screenshot below.

1. Press crtl-e to create a txt file and share it with us via a dropbox download link.

-Eric

Thanks Eric, here you go…

1 Like

Thanks for the follow Mark (@pedalhead)! Very appreciated! Passing back over to my techs for evaluation. Once they’ve given me some more feedback I will be sure to follow up asap.

-Eric

1 Like

Hi @Eric I know these things take time but is there any sign that I’ll be able to get this restore working? I’ve been running with a really messy database for more than three weeks now & if it’s not possible to fix it I’d rather just crack on & spend some hours (days?!) fixing the new database. Thanks.

Hi @pedalhead — Thank you for your patience, while the team has been evaluating your report/provide logs.

Moving forward, based on the materials you’ve provided to us, our team believes that the reason your backup is so large is due to the fact that some previously active watch folders were disabled after they had been analyzed by Roon. Thus the information about them is still being contained in the Roon Database.

With the above in mind, could you please go to Settings->Library->Library Maintenance, and check the number of “deleted files”, “files that are not associated with storage location”, and “files that are associated with disabled storage location”.

-Eric

1 Like

Thanks @Eric. I’m getting 518 deleted files and zero for the other two. I did remove a number of duplicate albums before the migration to ROCK. Cheers.