Restoring Previous Library Information?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
10.14.6 (18G8022)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wi-Fi Apple AirPort Extreme

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Scarlett 2i2 USB
Oppo UDP-203 Wi-Fi

Description Of Issue

Roon was hanging just after startup. After the loading screen it would show the last page used, but then the spinning beach ball came up. I tried re-starting the computer, re-installing roon, cleaning the cache via MainMenu. Nothing changed it from freezing and not responding. I took the extreme action of creating a new database. Now roon is re-importing my entire library and starting from scratch. I tried restoring my previous backup from last month, but it failed repeatedly. I still have the old Library folder that was hanging. Are there files in there that I can copy over to restore my libraries playlists and waveform and volume leveling information without having to wait ages for Roon to re-do all of it?

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 11.31.04 AM

Thanks!

Neil

Hi @Neil_Bulk

You can delete the new Roon folder that you made and rename Roon_Old back to Roon. This will allow you to use that database with Roon once more.

If you’re still seeing this issue after can you use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

@dylan

When I go back to the old database, it still opens on the same page it was on and I get the beachball and the program is non-responsive. Here is a link to my logs.

Thanks!

Neil

Hi @Neil_Bulk

So we can provide the team a better idea of what exactly is occurring during the crash, we are hoping you can provide the logs directly from the Mac. Please see the following steps:

Open Console.app (this is part of mac os x. You can command-spacebar and then type “console” to find it).

Then go into the “User Reports” section, and see if you can find any Roon crashes in there.

For any crashes, paste the contents into a text doc and then send that file over to use so we can take a look.

@dylan

I can’t find any roon crashes in there. When I force quit (after the program is non-responsive) it wants to send a crash report to Apple. Here is that crash report.

Thanks, @Neil_Bulk — This is with our QA team for investigation, we’ll be in touch soon!

1 Like

Hi @Neil_Bulk

Can you please try the following:

1. Locate your Roon database folder. Instructions for macOScan be found here
  2. Inside this folder navigate to Registry → Client
  3. Remove and files that start with GMS
  4. Try to launch Roon once again
1 Like

Yes!!! This worked! Thank you @dylan!

What happened? Did the file get corrupted? Is this common?

Neil

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @Neil_Bulk

No, this is not common. It sounds like Roon was trying to load a page that, for some reason, was causing the crash. Removing the GMS files allowed Roon to start up on the Home screen instead of that page, which resolved the problem.