Restoring Roon Core from Nucleus to Laptop

I just want to make sure I get this right and not screw up anything.

I started out with fullblown Roon core on my laptop. I later purchased a Nucleus and installed Roon core on it. I am running automatic backups of Roon from the Nucleus to an attached USB drive. All appears to be working well.

I would now like to restore one of the backups from the USB drive that is attached to the Nucleus to my laptop. I’m not quite sure how to do this. I’m afraid I will accidently restore the Roon core that is on my Nucleus and possiby screw that up.

So, how best to restore the backup from my USB drive to my laptop? Thanks for you help.

To setup a duplicate roon installation on your laptop.

1. Download and install roon on your laptop from the roon downloads page: https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html
  2. You will need to login to roon and when you do this it will de-license your existing nucleus roon system (unless you’ve purchased 2 licenses) and use the license for your new roon installation on your laptop
  3. Unplug your usb holding the backups from your nucleus and plug it into the laptop.
  4. Load the roon backup you created from your Nucleus (on your laptop go to roon settings /backup / find backup; select the appropriate one and hit restore)
  5. Verify the storage (under settings / storage) locations for your music are correct. If not fix it.
  6. Ensure your audio zones are correct. all external zones should be correct (if you created any) but you’ll need to enable your new laptop to play music from it’s speakers if you want to.
  7. Decide where you want to put backups from your laptop system (you can’t use the usb because that will go back to the nucleus) and update (settings / backups / scheduled backups). Delete the scheduled backup that was set for the nucleus.
  8. You should be up and running with an identical system to the nucleus.
  9. Plug your usb back into the nucleus.
  10. If you log back into roon from the nucleus it will delicense your laptop.

Hope that helps…

Thanks Craig. This is pretty much what I was guessing but I wanted to make sure. I would not have thought to turn off the automatic backups, so thanks for that. I’ll probaby do this later tonight or in the morning.

It’s pretty straight forward. I actually have 3 roon installs and 2 licenses. One on a nucleus+. One on a Mac Pro (its a backup system if anything goes wrong with my nucleus+). And one on my laptop I use if I’m traveling. My second roon license can bounce back and forth between my mac pro and my laptop if needed.

I haven’t restored my laptop since I purchased my Nucleus on Black Friday. I want to try and keep the laptop relatively up to date with my Nucleus for when I travel and as an emergency backup to the Nucleus.

Yea. I do the same. I have a portable usb disk that I keep synced with all the same music that is on my nucleus. It stays plugged into my mac pro when I’m not traveling. I use chronosyn on the mac pro to sync my master copy of music (which I keep on my mac pro) to the nucleus, to the portable usb disk and to a NAS every day (yes – i’m kind of paranoid about losing anything). Then when I travel I just grab the portable usb disk, plug it into the laptop and give it a minute or two to ingest any new music on the usb disk that wasn’t there the last time I used roon on the laptop. And unless you’re doing any metadata editing on the nuclues, it will be in sync with the laptop.

I just did the Roon restore to my laptop. As far as I can tell, it worked perfectly. I’m now back to my Nucleus listening to some music, as usual.

I don’t really have any music of my own. I just have 500+ Tidal album links and 500+ Qobuz album links. Seems like there should be an easier way to sync these, but the restore was pretty painless.

I recommend anyone who reads this, do your backups to a USB drive if you want to be able to maintain multiple Roon cores on different devices. It makes it simple to keep them in relatively close sync plus you’ll always have a backup Roon core ready to go at a moments notice if need be.

After doing the laptop restore, I backed it up to another directory on the laptop.

I do this with Dropbox. When I restore I don’t pick Dropbox but rather the physical folder on my laptop that syncs the backups down in the background.