RIP John Abercrombie

Sadly, jazz guitarist and composer John Abercrombie has died

I became aware of John’s music in the late 70s when I heard the album ‘Sargasso Sea’ with with Ralph Towner released by ECM. The two music giants produced an interestingly intimate soundscape, a very inspiring album for someone like me who never quite fitted in the jazz standard world.

I saw John and his band in the mid 70’s at a Jazz club that was on Rt 9 in Lakewood NJ who’s name I can no longer remember and that is no longer there. I still remember how great they sounded and how much I enjoyed the band even though I can’t remember the name of the club. RIP John Abercrombie.

I just remembered. It was a club called Richard’s Lounge. Saw many great bands there in the 70’s.

Very Sad. I never got to see him.

Heard him a few times live, including in his Three Guitars tour with Larry Coryell (another recent loss) and Badi Assad, and most recently in SF. I had tickets for a gig he was supposed to play at SFJAZZ last winter, but was cancelled for unspecified health reasons. His work opened up my appreciation of jazz guitar back in the 70s, and I’ve kept listening to him all along. Hard to state a single favorite, but maybe if I’m forced, for the lyricism that connects with the sadness of his passing, “Wait Till You See Her.”