RIP Mark Lanegan

Sad news

10 Likes

Yes sad news, another troubled soul from the Seattle scene leaves us. RIP

3 Likes

Makes me very sad.

He leaves behind a beautiful and rich musical legacy.

Have seen him with Greg Dulli as the Gutter Twins.

2 Likes

Not the happiest of lives and sad to hear. Will confess I haven’t seen him live or bought anything since his Screaming Trees days, but they were a bit of a favourite of mine. Seems a long time ago now.

3 Likes

Only have his stuff with Isobel Campbell, shame he had such a distinctive voice.

3 Likes

Sad news indeed.
RIP

2 Likes

R. I. P. Mark Lanegan. May he now be in a good place.
I like most of his stuff and used to listen to Screaming Trees a lot many years ago.
Very sad news.

1 Like

Sad news indeed, Whiskey for the Holy Ghost was one of the albums that soundtracked the birth and first few months of our first born.

Seeing as he died in Ireland the Irish blessing

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.

.sjb

3 Likes

I have seen possibly 20 or 30 musicians (ranging from famous to up ‘n’ coming) all posting about his death on Twitter. They all had a personal relationship with him, and/or had worked with him. To a man and woman each and every one of them said what a wonderful, caring, funny, talented etc man he was.

Been playing Whiskey for the Holy Ghost and Bubblegum for the first time in 10 to 15 years and they still sound terrific - that voice. Am about to dive into his work with Isobel Campbell, which I know is critically adored but I’ve never really heard much of it.

4 Likes

yes, it’s very sad

2 Likes

A voice that could only be acquired through a life of excess.
A favourite unannounced appearance with Qotsa seems appropriate.
Godspeed Dark Mark.

3 Likes

Very sad. I thought Eddie Vedder’s words last night were very touching. See YouTube if you missed it.

3 Likes

Trees are screaming, once more.

3 Likes

R.I.P. I highly recommend his memoir, Sing Backwards and Weep.

3 Likes

Great article in today’s Guardian.

2 Likes

He leaves behind a beautiful and rich musical legacy...

2 Likes

Thank you @SukieInTheGraveyard for sharing.

Beautiful tribute from Nick Cave

Dear Anton and everyone who has written to me about Mark,

I encountered Mark many times over the years — we engaged in some extremely dubious escapades back in the ’90s; he sang ‘White Light/White Heat’ and ‘Fire and Brimstone’ with Warren and me on the Lawless soundtrack; he recorded my favourite ever Nick Cave cover — an astonishing version of ‘Brompton Oratory’; we did something together for the Jeffrey Lee Pierce record, I think; and he toured and hung out with us on The Bad Seeds’ 2013 Australian tour.

Go online and watch Mark sing Blixa’s ‘father’ part with me in ‘The Weeping Song’ on that tour. As a frontman, I move around a lot on stage, I can’t help it, it is a habitual nervous thing, a kind of neurotic compensation for a voice I have never felt that comfortable with. But watch Mark, watch how he walks onto the stage, plants himself at the mic stand, one tattooed fist halfway down the stand, the other resting on top of the mic, immobile, massive, male. When the time comes to sing, he simply opens his mouth and releases a blues, a blues lived deeply and utterly earned, and that voice tears right through you, his sheer force on stage absolutely humbling. A greatness, Mark, a greatness — a true singer, a superb writer and beautiful soul, loved by all.

Love Nick

4 Likes

This is really sad to see. He left us with so much amazing music. A profoundly unique voice, gone too soon.

2 Likes

Truly gutted to hear of Mark’s passing. An unbelievable artist and a lifelong favourite of mine, from his work in Screaming Trees to his amazing solo work and all the collaborations. Along with all the others from the Seattle scene taken far too soon, RIP.

4 Likes