RIP McCoy Tyner

Big Loss

2 Likes

Last time I heard him live, at an event in his honor in SF, he was clearly ailing but still played beautifully. As a composer, performer, and huge influence on jazz piano, deep respect. And since I’m listening at today’s Without Deception release by Kenny Barron, Dave Holland, and Jonathan Blake: try to catch the masters performing live, they won’t be always with us. As I did listening to Barron (with Benny Green and Miles Okazaki) playing individually and in duets and trios for the most recent Monk birthday. Barron, Holland, Bill Frisell, Charles Lloyd, Jack DeJohnette, Chick Corea, Abdullah Ibrahim still tour actively, and I’ve been so lucky to have heard all of them in the last couple of years. The best way to show one’s respect is to be there when they honor us with their gifts.

2 Likes

One of my favorite Tyner recordings. Another giant leaves the earth.

2 Likes

It’s so sad he’s gone. I met him in the mid eighties. He was at the highest level.

Evans, Brubeck, and Tyner gone. Leaves me wondering who to listen to for new jazz piano.

Suggestions, please?

Here are critics and readers poll winners from last year’s Downbeat

Herbie Hancock
Brad Mehldau
Chick Corea
Kenny Baron
Vijay Iyer
Fred Hersch

Keyboard add:
Robert Glasper
Craig Taborn

Lots there to explore!

Thanks!
10char

Some more, with one selected album for each, bold for my very favorites (which keep changing as I listen to new work). Very varied in style and inspiration. Lots of Cuban and other Latin influence. Also lots of NY free jazz. But some more straight-ahead stuff in the mix. If you are looking for new talent: Gerald Clayton, Arúan Ortiz, Fabian Almazan, Kaja Draksler, Christian Sands. Jazz piano has never been better.

Jason Moran: The Armory Concert
David Virelles: Mbókò
Edward Simon: Sorrows and Triumphs
Aruán Ortiz: Aruán Ortiz Trio Live in Zürich
Gonzalo Rubalcaba: Faith
Chano Domínguez: Over the Rainbow
Gerald Cleaver: Live at Firehouse 12
Matt Mitchell: Angel Dusk (with Tim Berne)
Danilo Pérez: Children of the Light (with John Patitucci and Brian Blade)
Enrico Pieranunzi: Frame
Yilena Eckemoff: Desert
Fabian Almazan: This Land Abounds with Life
Kaja Draksler: Punkt.Vrt.Plastik
Joachim Kühn: Melodic Ornette Coleman
Matthew Shipp: Zero
Gerald Clayton: Tributary Tales
Myra Melford: Other Side of Air
Aaron Parks: Little Big
Christian Sands: Facing Dragons
Luis Perdomo: Universal Mind
Django Bates: The Study of Taste
Sylvie Courvoisier: D’agala

1 Like

Great list Fernando
Know a lot of them but not: Aruan Ortiz, Mat Mitchell, Yilena Eckmoff, Kay Draksler, Django Bates or Sylivie Couvoisier
Will check them out

David