Ripping cd in ROCK

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet 1GB

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

LINN MAjik DS ethernet

Description Of Issue

I am correctly using my Roon 1.8 with the ethernet and Linn Majik. The library is an external Hard disk G Drive 4 Tb USB connected to my Rock core. When I connect my Mac CD palyer usb to the ROCK it is correctly recognized I can open and eject, but a message says that I have no writable Volumes to rippe the cd.
What to do?

Check that the drive is writable for all users.

Verify the format of the external USB drive attached to the ROCK. If it is HFS+ then Linux cannot write to it.

How is the drive formatted?

Yess it is. Permision to all

It is Mac OS format

It is MAC OS format

My guess is it would need permissions for ROCK to write to it then. exFAT is best for ROCK.

The external drive needs to be a different format for linux to write to it. ExFat works for example.

The format is MAC OS
It you should be some way to allow to recognize a hard disk formatted in Mac OS

MacOS can read, write and format exFAT and ROCK can read/ write to this format too, so this is best for interoperability.

Since I can not reformat my disk with my library, I think the best solution would be to by a usb Stick of a few gb format it exFAT and use it for ripping transfering after manually the file to the library.
Unles somebody telll me how to get ROCK to recognize the MAC OS formated disk.

Yes, that should work. It’s not possible for ROCK to use the HFS drive so this is your best option. Alternatively, buy another USB drive, format this to exFAT. You can use the existing drive for a backup of your library.

1 Like

Thanks this what I did For first test: A 60Gb usb stick formatted exFAT, I did correctly ripp the cd. But now a new problem. When I try to move the file CD RIP from usb stick to the library file, it appear a message You can not read this file, althought in permissions it is allowed to writte and read to administrator and everybody, both in the USB stick and in external library ???

Have you checked that the folder and files created by ROCK are readable? Press ⌘I on the folder to confirm. You may want to check some of the files too.

I took the usb stick with the ripped files and put it in my Mac. I can reproduce the tracks with AudiNirvana, but when I try to copy in the Room library the message appears saying it is no readable, although in information about the file in Mac says I can read and writte into it. As well I can reproduce the track on the information window about the track file, fixing opening with roon, but if want to translate that track file to the roon library again the message saying it is no readable ¿¿¿¿¿¿

Seems that with Library in the MACOS format it is no way neither to rip directly nor to copy into it a ripped track in the exFAT usb Stick. It is a pity because the idea of ripping directly and incorporating files into the library for which Roon add all metadata, allows me to forget about the consuming time activity of writting correctly all thos metadata.

OK Finally I though I did find a way to do it BUT…
1º I first rip the Cd to my exFAT format USB stick
2 I out it in my MAC
3 I copy it and paste in the rock library … and It copied in the ROCK file DATA but I can not move to the library file, with a mesage that says I have not permision of lecture, although I see on File information that it readable.
But why I can not do it directly?

Finallly I reformatted the exteranl hard disk to ExFAT and copy again my library in ti. SO no problem for ripping directly to the Hard disk. But with MAC OS format it was no way.
So conclusion is that to get riping to the usb library you can not do with AMC OS formatted

Finally I did reformatted the disk to ExFAT and copy back again my library into it and everything is fine. Ripping directly . So I think it sahll be said some where which formats are ok for ripping to usb hard disk

2 Likes