Ripping CD's with Roon

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Intel NUC running the latest version of Roon.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
I have read that is is possible to rip CD’s with Roon, but the information appears scattered. If is it is possible to plug a USB CD drive into my NUC and do the ripping, would someone direct me to the appropriate instructions for ripping CD’s.

It looks complicated to do it on my MAC.
Many thanks. Mike

Here is the faq might provide the info you need.

1 Like

But Roon is a mess with how it organizes ripped CDs. Generally, it is much better to use something like dBpoweramp and manage the ripping yourself…

1 Like

Thanks. I only have a few CD’s to rip. I can get dBpoweramp as a demo and accomplish what I need to do. Adding a robust and easy CD ripper capability to Roon would be a nice enhancement to the program.

Michael I tend to agree with Speed_Racer in that something like dBpoweramp is better that it does more work and better organization, but costly if only a few CDs, the answer is to buy more CDs :grin:

Not sure if EAC is still free, but that could be a decent option.

Also easier to make backups to something like OneDrive or Google drive if you rip them locally first

Interesting you mention backup. I have been using Dropbox to backup up my playlist and it recently exceeded my 2 Gigabyte limit. If all it is keeping is the meta data and deletes old copies, it is odd that I am running out of space. I’ll need to dig deeper into that as well.

Michael I had 5GB and was also running out of space, so lost faith in Dropbox for Roon backup and moved to local and Synology so I had two backups. Dropbox also seemed to take all day to backup.

Thanks! I’ll do the same.

1 Like

Hey @Michael_Van_Woert,

It’s great to see you’re starting to rip your CDs and add them in Roon! It looks like by the time we got a chance to reply (I am so sorry for the huge delay :pleading_face:), you got quite a few valuable suggestions from @Rugby, @Michael_Harris and @Speed_Racer. Thanks everyone!

I wanted to check and see if things went well or if we can help with anything at this point :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.