ROCK disconnected continuously

Hi, Please Help with my ROCK system haging problem.

• My System : NUC 8i5BEH with ROCK - RAAT Ethernet Connection - dCS Rossini DAC - Amplifier - Speaker …

• My Music Source : Loseless Files (Synology NAS 1817+) & Tidal Streaming & Qobuz Streamig

• Problem : When I turn on the NUC (Roon Core with ROCK System), System scans local DB files and Roonserver stops and restarts continuously just before the “Recent Activity” section menu.

• My action:

1. Restart Roonserver - Not Solved

2. Reinstall ROCK - Not solved

3. Rest DB & Restore Roon Backup - Not Solved

4. Rename ‘Roonserver’ folder to ‘Roonserver_old’ in ROCK - Not Solved

5. Apply only Streaming service Libraries (Tidal & Qobuz) - solved

6. Apply Streaming & NAS Files Libraries - Not Solved

so I decided to disconnect NAS access during ROCK booting process - Solved!!!

• So I disconnect NAS access before I turn on ROCK NUC and After booting process succeed and Roon Home Screen appears I reconnect NAS access. This is my one and only solution for using my ROCK system for now.

Please Check this situation and help me…

Are you using Link Aggregation in Synology?

1 Like

No, I’m not.

Disable Opportunistic Locking for Synology SMB advanced options.

1 Like

Thanks, I tried this, but same result… not solved…

The strange thing is that this problem only started recently.
I’ve been using ROCK normally before, and haven’t had any problems like this.

I have experienced similar issues. To my big surprise it was connected to Apple wifi access point on the network that freaked out my router. Removed Apple access point and replaced it with Cisco, everything has been working perfectly ever since.

So I suspect some issues on the local network is the reason for this behavior.

1 Like

I think there is no network issue similar to your case in my network environment. Thanks a lot.

What is your network environment? What network devices and how is everything connected together?

1 Like

My network environt is like this :

Telecomm Company Switng Hub - wall mounted Ethernet Jack - Asus RT-AX86U Router - Synology 1817+ NAS - Telegartner LAN Cable - Bonn N8 Audio grade Switching Hub - NUC 8i5BEH (ROCK) with Telegartner LAN Cable & dCS Rossini DAC with Wireworld Starlight Platinum LAN Cable

It is not entirely clear to me what the issues you are experiencing actually are.

With everything connected from a cold-start switch on, if you go to the ROCK Admin page is Roon Server stable and running continuously?
What client are you using to view Roon on? Can you try other clients? Do they behave the same?
Have you made any changes whatsoever to the system or added any files recently? Was anything updated?

1 Like

With everything connected from a cold-start switch on, if you go to the ROCK Admin page is Roon Server stable and running continuously?

===> Roon Server restarts repeatedly With everything connected from a cold-start switch on, but without NAS connection it starts without problem.

What client are you using to view Roon on? Can you try other clients? Do they behave the same?

===> Windows PC, Apple m1 Macbook Air, Android tablet, Android Smartphone… all same

Have you made any changes whatsoever to the system or added any files recently? Was anything updated?

===> Roon S/W update, some music files added, not any changes as to hardware…

Thanks. Roon Support need to take a look at your logs. Between ‘Roon S/W Update and some music files added’ when exactly did the issue start?

My suspicion based on the information supplied is that you have added a bad file that Roon Server is choking on, causing it to restart. This should be in the logs somewhere.
Do you know what files you added recently? Can you remove them from the NAS watched folder?

What happens if you disable the NAS as a Watched folder then try another cold-restart with everything connected?

1 Like

Mods this needs moving to Support.

Done /10char

1 Like

“when exactly did the issue start?”

===> I don’t remeber the exact day, but I think It was within 2 or 3 weeks.

“My suspicion based on the information supplied is that you have added a bad file that Roon Server is choking on, causing it to restart. This should be in the logs somewhere.
Do you know what files you added recently? Can you remove them from the NAS watched folder?”

===> These albums are the last music files added recently to the NAS Library folder and It was 5th May 2021. I need some time to remove these files from the NAS watched folder. I will try this later, but This situation started mid. June, I think. So I don’t think it will help…

“What happens if you disable the NAS as a Watched folder then try another cold-restart with everything connected?”

===> As I mentioned in the first Question, I disconnect NAS access before I turn on ROCK NUC and After booting process succeed and Roon Home Screen appears I reconnect NAS access. This is the only solution to my situation for now.

Can you check and analyze my ROCK log remotely or perfome any diagnostics remotely? If you let me know how to assist you, I can follow your order. Thanks a lot.

Based on your description - this is most likely connected to some form of issues on you local network. Exactly what the problem is should be investigated by @support.

But one approach you can test is to turn off all devices connected to your network. Start up router; then start NUC with ROCK, followed by one device running Roon Remote (on ethernet connected computer). If you see none of these issues you have verified that there is a network issue. Next step, introduce the NAS and restart ROCK.

Your core might be broken; reinstall should solve this.

1 Like

Hello @HyeonChuel_Kim,

Thanks for letting us know of the issue you ran into, for trying so many troubleshooting steps already and for engaging with our community to find a solution. This is as good as time as any to thank everyone for chiming in :pray:

I’m sorry about the trouble. We’d love to help. After such a restart, could you please access your database and zip up the Logs folder for us?

If you can zip up that folder and send us a copy, we can get a sense of what’s gone wrong here.

1 Like

OK, Thanks a lot.
Where should I send the logs zip file to?

You can upload the logs to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com and post a link here? Please be sure to turn on “sharing by link”, instructions on how to do so for Dropbox can be found here and for Google Drive can be found here.

1 Like