Rock Endpoint over USB

(John Mesberg) #1

Trying to use my NUC Rock as both Core and Endpoint. Endpoint will be connected over USB to USB DAC in my Hegel Rost. Problem is I don’t see any USB option to enable (lots of HDMI options but no USB). See attached:

Suggestions?

(Scott G) #2

I’m pretty sure once you connect your DAC and power it up you will see which port it is connected to and it will be a USB port.

(John Mesberg) #3

Hope you’re right! Waiting for my USB cable which will be here in a couple of days…will know then.

(Dylan Caudill) #4

Hi @John_Mesberg,

Scott’s answer above is correct:

Once a Linux compatible USB device is connected via USB and powered on, it will appear as an option to enable. Before that, no USB options are shown.

HDMI works a little differently and those zones always appear here.

1 Like
(John Mesberg) #6

Thank you both.

(simon_pepper) #7

Can these be turned off - if you are only using ROCK as a headless server and don’t require an Endpoints from the NUC?

(Henry) #8

You should be able to switch unwanted resources like sound cards and potentially HDMI in bios on a well specified motherboard. I presume that as a premium product you can do the same on a NUC.

(KA) #9

Yes you can turn off all un-needed ports in the bios.

(Charles Coutret) #10

Disabling HDMI seems like a bad idea - if you ever want to see your BIOS again.

2 Likes
(Mr Fix It ) #11

I don’t recall that option on a Nuc or any other motherboard without at least a slot for a graphics card

(KA) #12

HDMI/DisplayPort Audio

LAN (or Primary LAN)

Type Checkbox
Help Enables or Disables Onboard Audio.
Found on BIOS Page Advanced > Devices > Onboard Devices
Type Checkbox
Help Enables or Disables onboard audio DSP
Advanced Help Intel Smart Sound Technology requires the Audio DSP to handle audio, voice, and speech recognition.
Requires Board supports Intel Smart Sound Technology. Hidden if Audio is set to Disable.
Type Checkbox
Help Enables or Disables Digital Microphone support that is part of the Custom Solutions Header
Requires Onboard audio device and Custom Solutions header
Type Checkbox
Help Enables or Disables Internal Speaker.
Type Checkbox
Help If enabled, HDMI/DisplayPort output includes both audio and video. If disabled, HDMI/DisplayPort output is video only.
Requires Board has HDMI or DisplayPort output.
(Mr Fix It ) #13

Even if you can disable the Hdmi it’s not going to be applicable in the setup bios options or there would as noted be no way to display anything in settings. Only after boot up OS.

(KA) #14

This is very true.

(Mr Fix It ) #15

As ROCK is a headless os and after installation Hdmi video is not needed, it has no ssh access either, only the web GUI. Audio is supported.

Ropieee on RPi is headless too…diet pi is not but ssh access is supported too.

Most other OS’s (windows, Mac etc) don’t like having no Video option, but don’t have to have a monitor connected top operate as a server for apps.

(Henry) #16

I have HDMI disabled on my MOCK build and it still displays but the 4 HDMI options are now gone from the enable output display. My presumption is that the option only disables HDMI audio. It is good to not have your screen cluttered with options you may never use.

(Edmund Comber) #17

According to the Help page above, if disabled, then video still works, disabling only audio … so possibly could work???