ROCK exFAT USB w/ write permissions - Linux

Hi,

This is a new ROCK install. I am trying to update music on the attached exFAT formatted USB drive. I can mount the USB on a Linux workstation, however, I am getting permission errors when trying to update the music library.

This is the mount command I have used: sudo mount -t cifs -o sec=ntlmv2,username=guest,password=guest //192.168.99.61/data/Storage /media/rock

I have also substituted user/pass withother details and it mounts.

What am I missing?

Thanks, Henry

Hello @Henry_KARJALAINEN,

Can you clarify your setup?

My interpretation is that you have a USB drive mounted to your NUC running ROCK and you’re trying to access the drive via CIFS on a different computer running Linux. Is this correct?

What happens if you try to mount *ip_of_rock*/Data?

Hi John

Yes, I have latest ROCK installed on a NUC.

I have a number of Ubuntu desktops which I would like to access the ROCK USB drive to update the music library.

The USB mounts on the Ubuntu desktop machines and I can do this with:

sudo mount -t cifs -o sec=ntlmv2,username=guest,password=guest //192.168.99.61/data/Storage /media/rock

However, once rock is mounted, I cannot copy to the USB due to permission errors, both on the command line and on the desktop.

Interestingly I can successfully copy to the USB drive if I mount it, and then do it from the desktop interface in Nautilus “Connect to Server” with command smb://192.168.99.61/data/

So I assume there is some secret sauce to the command line which I am not aware of

I cracked it, for other Ubuntu users the command is:

sudo mount -t cifs -o sec=ntlmv2,uid=1000,guest,iocharset=utf8,guest,vers=2.0 //192.168.99.61/data/ /media/rock

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.