ROCK - General Questions (What does what?) (Equipment?)

@Eric

Hello, Eric…now it is my turn to apologize. I was on vacation and when I returned back to work things suddenly got very busy. Candidly, I simply forgot to reply back to you.

Anyway, back to my Roon issue…I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I fixed the problem. Here was my solution:

1. Delete Roon and associated database in its’ entirety.
  2. Borrow Zotac fanless mini-PC (with Celeron quad core processor) from one of my friends.
  3. Install Roon ROCK on Zotac.
  4. Reinstall Roon on my original computer (HP Envy with i7 quad core)

Once I did this, everything worked perfectly, and I have not had an issue since. All my album artwork is showing up correctly.

The bad news is that I did not save a back-up of my old database to send you.

In any event, using ROCK sure seems to be the way to go (at least for me). With that in mind, I have a couple of quick questions that you can answer:

1. If I understand the premise correctly, using ROCK on a separate computer allows the server not to have to work as hard because the database work is being taken care of on the second computer. Is my understanding correct?

2. Assuming my assumption is correct, which of the two computers is doing the majority of the work – the ROCK computer or the control computer? I ask this because I soon have to return the Zotac computer to my friend and purchase my own NUC. Even though the Zotac with the Celeron has worked great, I intend to purchase an i5 model NUC. In your opinion, what software should go on the new i5 NUC and what should go on my original HP Envy?

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Martin Levine

1 Like

Hi @Martin_Levine ---- Good to hear from you! No worries about the pervious DB, as we obtained one from another user who reported a similar issue, so we should have all we need to perform our testing. Thank you also for sharing the resolve with us. Very appreciated!

I have went ahead and moved your response over to the “ROCK” section of community in order to address your questions :thumbsup:

“If I understand the premise correctly, using ROCK on a separate computer allows the server not to have to work as hard because the database work is being taken care of on the second computer. Is my understanding correct?”

“Assuming my assumption is correct, which of the two computers is doing the majority of the work – the ROCK computer or the control computer? I ask this because I soon have to return the Zotac computer to my friend and purchase my own NUC. Even though the Zotac with the Celeron has worked great, I intend to purchase an i5 model NUC. In your opinion, what software should go on the new i5 NUC and what should go on my original HP Envy?”

The device hosting ROCK will always be doing the “lifting” and not the remote (“control device”) :wink: the i5 NUC should fit your needs just fine but as a reminder we recommend NUC7i3BNH with 4GB RAM and 64GB M.2 SSD for small to medium sized libraries and the NUC7i7BNH with 8GB RAM and 64GB M.2 SSD for large libraries or heavy DSP use.

Additional Info:
KnowledgeBase: Roon Optimized Core Kit

KnowledgeBase: Getting Started

-Eric