ROCK Hardware Primer

You can smell what the ROCK is cooking?

AJ

Nope. With the update earlier this week, you can bet another won’t be happening for a while.

With the update earlier this week, you can bet the focus is on the ROCK now :grin:.

I use a i7 2.6KHz 16 MB RAM MAC mini that has a 1TB SSD and and 1TB HDD for back up all in the same box.

My MAC Mini has been modified to be powered with 12 volts DC and I get that from a fabulous LPS called the HD-Plex, it has 4 DC rails out, one adjustable voltage (5-19 Volts DC) and connects to the supply with XLR cables. I am able to power all my digital gear with this one power supply!

While my current collection does not exceed 1 TB, the little MAC mini never needs drivers to recognize DDC’s or DAC’s and can select songs quicker than my finger moves.

So with my modest storage, I would bet that I am not a ROCK candidate?

That depends on what exactly you are asking. The Roon-customized version of Linux, called ROCK, is only certified to run on certain (many) Intel NUC devices due to the need to simplify the range of drivers required. It will not be compatible with Mac Minis. http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

If instead, you are asking about transitioning from your Mac Mini setup to a NUC running ROCK, there are two answers:

1. Yes, a 1TB music library is well within the capabilities of a NUC running ROCK
  2. It sounds like you are happy with your customized Mac Mini, so why migrate to a NUC?

9 posts were split to a new topic: Euphony Drive OS (Discussion)

I m about to do this. I had question regarding expanding M.2 from 250 to 1TB so I could have both ROCK + Music files, but thats not advisable after reading through this thread - I get it.

For Internal SSHD you have ordered, the "NUC6i5SYH " has two slots? One for M.2 and one for SSHD - Both internal to SYH?

Yes both internal

1 Like

What’s the best method for getting 2 TB of music on an internal drive in a ROCK machine? Will Roon/ROCK have a method to do this from remote login and an attached USB drive? Copying over the network (especially from a remote machine with shares exposed) seems impractical.

2 Likes

just do it overnight…

you cant use the ssd/boot/m.2 drive for music at all, no matter how big it is.

Yes! I got it why too.

RBM - May I request you to write a step by step installation guide, once ROCK is released. There was a good installation guide written for Raspberry Pi - a very well written installation guide. It would be good if this is also done for ROCK. The info on kb is already good enough (I guess) but not for dummies like myself. Things like where do one get BIOs for NUC, should we power-on NUC first and it gets BIOS automatically, or we need to browse on other computer and download into Flash drive, NUC is raw and do we install ROCK on flash drive inserting on NUC or on other existing computer etc. - PLEASE! :innocent:

Hi

My i7 NUC is on order along with the SSD and memory so here is what I found:

BIOS update looks very straightforward, as does installing the memory and SSD.

2 Likes

It’s really all here: https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK_Install_Guide

1 Like

Right but you know for first timers like myself, its small little (stupid) queries :slight_smile:

Anthony - Thanks for Intel Link above. its getting clear, reading kb and intel link back and forth.

The exact file to be downloaded from link (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26787/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-) is BN0046.BIO for OS agnostic/Windows etc. – Please correct if its the right one.

Do we need any DRIVER - should we also install them? Like USB, HDMI, ETH etc

Thanks for the link to the BIOS update instructions. I was concerned about that part — I was afraid I might have to install Windows to do it.

Hi,

yes most of it is there, but I too would like to know about whether any firmware updates are also needed after BIOS is done (HDMI and I think USB is mentioned by Intel). Does ROCK incorporate all these other motherboard drivers?

It is of no consequence to me as my ROCK will be a pure headless server/Core with only a LAN connection, but others may want to connect things to the USB interface for storage etc.