ROCK High Internet Usage

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Using Roon ROCK:

• on an Intel NUC HW - Intel NUC7i7BNH NUC with 8 GB of RAM and a 250 GB M.2 SSD.
  • ROCK SW version is version 1.6, (Build 416) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

• My music is stored on a Synology server (DS214+)
• Other than the laptop which is used to control Roon, everything is on a wired connection. Topolgy is:
Roon ROCK + Synology server (DS214+)
<->
Network switch (GS108Tv2)
<->
Netgear Orbi Router (Model RBR50, FW version V2.3.5.30
<-> Linksys WRT1900ACS Router (FW version 2.0.2.188405):
<-> (Surfboard) Cable Modem
<-> ISP/Internet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

• · Music is played through a Mac Mini ((running Mac OS, 10.14.6) that has a metric Halo LIO-8 DAC attached through Firewire
  • · Library size:1408 Albums, 21097 songs, 925 Artists, 4648 lyrics, 5056 reviews and Bio, 5169 Images
  • · Roon is mostly controlled from my Mac Laptop (lMAC OS 10.14.6) (over wifi), or sometimes an app on my Iphone; all are running current/latest MAC OS versions

Description Of Issue

Roon core (ROCK) is consuming a lot of internet bandwidth when NOTHING is going on, NO music is being played etc. Router diagnostics show internet traffic of around 10-20Mb/s (i.e. 4GB/hour if continuous)

Seems to happen multiple times during the day – my estimate is that over the course of an average day it consumes about 30-50GB of internet traffic (from looking at data per day on router).

I determined that the high internet traffic was related to the Roon ROCK by turning off one device after another on my network.

Other info:

• I’ve currently turned the Roon Core/ROCK off, since the situation is creating an overage with my ISP.;

• I have two backups – I mention this because the one to my local computer seems to fail every now and then.

1. To a Windows 10 computer on my network (In an attempt to further diagnose the issue, I’ve deleted this backup today because it failed intermittently )
    2. Another to a USB stick attached to my Roon Core

Hi @Josef_Coetsee,

This seems like an abnormal usage amount if nothing is happening on your Core. Can I please ask you to send me a copy of your ROCK logs by using these instructions? The best way to get them over to me would be via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com link.

Just to confirm, when you are hosting the Roon Core on your Windows machine, do you notice similar behavior? Does this occur even when using a fresh database or have you been using a restored database from the ROCK core?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.