ROCK - installing codecs (unclear instructions)

Hi, Updated BIOS, flashed an ISO of the installer, and pre-flighting the instructions. The following is unclear:

“You can do this by following the instructions here or by visiting the web UI listed on the console of the machine, click on the “?” next to “Missing Codecs” and follow the instructions.”

Huh? What “console” and what “machine” … “the” is undefined, twice.

While I’m at it… why are codecs not part of the installer/image?

help! and TIA

G

Hi,
Did you follow the link and read the Roon Knowledge Base page?

Codecs are installed for most formats. Ffmpeg which is used for converting aac license forbids it to be distributed by 3rd parties unless it’s paid for. So you have to install it yourself. Nucleus comes with it ROCK does not.

1 Like

yes. Since i wrote that I have:

1. opened the remote Web UI for my server, using another computer
  2. clicked on the “missing codecs” button, which took me to instructions, whcih i will summarize as:
    2a. go to a page and select and download the correct .tar file (I did)
    2b. uncompress it (i did… but now its a package file and i cannot see the components)
    2c. use “connect to server” to open a shared SMB folder (I did, it does not open, nor does the server show up when i browse)
    2d. copy ONLY the ffmpeg file from the package ( aside from not having access to the destination, i cannot get the individual package files, not sure why)

So… at a standstill.

I see nothing in the Roon remote web UI that allows me to, for example, enable sharing or not - but other computers are NOT seeing this as a network server.

G

OK, got it. However still cannot:

1. open the SMB share folder
  2. access the individaul files in the un-tar’d archive

ideas welcome

G

You have to unpack it twice as that’s how is distributed. Then copy only the file called ffmpeg, it will be below another file called ffprobe.

What platform are you downloading on? If windows ensure you have smb1 enabled as windows 10 disables it by default. To.access the SMB it’s \\ipaddress or \\rock in explorer window.

I assumed that was the answer, but opening with archive utility again re-tars it back to a .tar.xz file (the first un-archive makes it a blah.tar.xz.cpzg file)

Then in need to get Roon to share its data folder!

sorry, thought “connect to server” made that clear. MacOS Sierra. Unix.

And i used the example address provide by roon verbatim. Maybe its wrong… i actually copied and pasted it from the Roon guide into the mac connect to server window.

Fewer errors occur when one browses and selects, but in browsing, nothing shows up (which suggests that ROCK is not sharing)

SMB://ipaddress you may have to enter some faux credentials try guest guest

thanks for the quick reply. But in the interim i tried the solution to flaky software everywhere - a reboot or two. Fixed.

So now the challenge is unpacking the ffmpeg archive and then removing just the codec from the package.

Try 7zip it’s what I use and works just fine.

isn’t that a Windows util?

Linux as well but no use to you. Keka I think is a variant for macos. Others have managed this on Mac before so maybe someone will be able to help.

https://www.keka.io/en/

1 Like

very odd that the built-in capability is not working. MacOS is unix after all.

A very bad version of it. Imo. I use both Mac and Linux at work everyday , I hate the Mac.

trying keka

1 Like

Success on all fronts. Thanks for your help.

SMB working (three fingered salute!, aka restart), keka properly unpacked the tape archive (just weird). My next task is to install my 2nd SSD (this one SATA), remote in, create a music folder, share it, and dump my music files in. I guess for now I could just tell it to look elsewhere, but being local reduces network dependencies.

Almost home. And then I’ll be right where i was with Roon just running on an old macbook pro :slight_smile:

G

1 Like

Glad all worked. After the SSD all the fun of restoring you DB. Hope that goes well.