Rock just stopped playing and restarted by itself?

Thanks, @Tim_Woodward! We’ll take a look and let you know what we find.

Hi @dylan it just happened again - 12:30 January 20th - everything just stopped and lost connection screen came up!

Hi @dylan and @support - happened again! 23:24 Tuesday 26th Jan - getting to be a bit of a pain now :neutral_face: seems a funny thing to do when end point is wired and iPad remote is wireless and both lose connection simultaneously?

Edit: Managed to log into Rock web interface and it had obviously restarted, said it had only been running a few minutes. So what we are getting is random spurious ROCK server reboots? It say Version 1.7 (build 710).

Hi @Tim_Woodward,

Looking at the diagnostics report for the times you mention, I notice that there are instances where Roon stops abruptly during metadata updates. There isn’t specific information about what is happening on the RoonServer side of things, so it appears that things are happening at a deeper level.

How many tracks total are in your library, and how much RAM do you have installed in the NUC?

Hi @dylan - the NUC has 4Gb RAM and looking at my Roon library I have 482 albums as files on the installed SSD drive and 506 Qobuz albums. So quite a light load really I would have thought?

@Tim_Woodward FYI, the same thing has happened to me a few times recently: Does Roon Server Software reboot itself on ROCK?

No info on why yet, but since it’s happening to at least two people, maybe that will help their troubleshooting. :crossed_fingers:

Good luck to both of us, and thank you to Dylan and the Roon team for their help in solving this.

1 Like

It is a weird one, because I am doing nothing, it’s obviously an internal process running occasionally and not liking something? What’s a metadata update I wonder?

Tim, there are users (myself included) who have experienced similar seemingly random roonserver restarts on Linux, Ubuntu in my case. When such a restart occurred, nothing would be seen in the Roon logs, as logging by Roon stops when the process crashes. But in the OS logs we would see evidence that there had occurred memory segmentation faults. This apparently was related to dhcp calls by the dhcp4 client to the dhcp server (which most often runs on our routers). Configuring our Roon Core servers with static IP has resolved the problem - I haven’t seen a random restart in many weeks. So, if you haven’t done so, you should try and configure your ROCK device with a static IP.

I don’t have experience with ROCK and don’t know if your problem is the same or related to the one we experienced, but configuring a static IP is easily done and will show you if the interruptions stop. If you do so, remember to configure the address reservation on the router, too, to avoid that the DHCP server handles out the address to other devices on your network.

2 Likes

Well I’ll have a go… :blush: it’s funny for a completely different reason I was thinking of doing that anyway as I keep losing my web shortcut to Rock if I have to restart the network for any reason as it keeps getting a different IP address - cheers!

Edit: OK that took no time all, so let’s see what happens! :blush:

Ok well it seems a fixed IP address doesn’t solve the problem, Roon tells me the server was restarted 1hour 30 minutes ago (I was burning in a new piece of equipment left playing to itself) - it’s now 23:16 Mon 1 Feb. Any further thoughts @support?

Hi @Tim_Woodward,

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that I’ve passed a ticket over to our QA team on this and I have a meeting scheduled with them to discuss next steps. I’ll follow up soon!

1 Like

Thanks @dylan I realise it’s a bit of a weird one, these things can be tricky to track down… who knows what happening in the little NUC! :blush:

Likewise, I can confirm switching to static IP doesn’t solve this. Everything was going uninterrupted for 4.5 days, but then the Core software reboot at some point.

1 Like

Oh well, nothing to do with 1.7 then, 1.8 just reset the server :thinking:

Version 1.8 (build 753) stable
Running 0 minutes, 20 seconds.

Happened Wed 10 Feb 23:04 ish - funny how it nearly always happens, if it is going to happen, late at night - but that’s maybe because I am just listening at that time. Funny thing is I sometimes listen all morning and the again through the afternoon and I don’t recall it resetting then? I wish ROCK web interface would tell us more about the condition of the NUC it’s running on, who knows what its up to?

And again… right in the middle of the most moving fourth movement of Mahler’s 9th :neutral_face:

Version 1.8 (build 756) stable
Running 0 minutes, 2 seconds.

Time Frid 12 12:43 ish?

And again… seems to be a regular nighttime thing? Just keeping the topic alive whilst you are all busy with 1.8 tweaking :blush:

Roon Server Software
OK
Version 1.8 (build 756) stable
Running 0 minutes, 31 seconds.

Time now Thursday 18th Feb 23:38

Edit: Reset again just a few minutes later! Maybe I should go to bed!

I once had a similar problem. It was just getting worse and more often. Turns out it was a bad Ethernet cable. Just swapped the cable, and everything wet back to normal. Maybe you could give it a go.

Thanks @Jose_Vita it just dropped connection twice in a hour so I’ve swapped out the Ethernet cable between the NUC and the network switch… let’s see! :blush:

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m up to 8 days 20 hours of uptime on Roon 1.8, which is nearly double the max I tended to get with 1.7.

Fixed?

I’m on 1.8 so not here… but until we can diagnose just what’s occurring it could be absolutely anything! If there was more diagnostic info in the ROCK web interface it might help, but Roon say it is during a metadata update it occurs?