ROCK network behavior

I’ve been debating whether to post this since I have (somewhat) resolved the issue.

I was using a cable internet connection and for convenience sake I had both my modem and my router in the upstairs ‘office’. I have a few switches, including one in the cellar to which I run an Ethernet connection from the upstairs router. All was good.

I switched ISPs to a fiber connection and I didn’t have the installer run the in-house connection upstairs and instead left it in the cellar. I left my router upstairs and, rather than running a line up to the router and another back down to the cellar switch, I connected the output from the fiber device to the switch and then from the switch to the upstairs router.

Surprisingly, that worked. All my addresses stayed as I had assigned them, i.e. 192.168.0.xxx and everything connected successfully. All my smart hubs and devices, my smart TVs, ROKU, and AppleTV were all good. Everything was good, except for ROCK.

ROCK originally had an good intra-network connection of the 192.168.0.xxx type. However after a short time and (presumably) after it called home, the software decided that my ROCK device’s address was the internet address of my router, i.e. 184.12.xxx.xxx. A different sub-net from all my other devices. Obviously, that wouldn’t work.

Problem was solved by moving my router to the cellar and making it the first stop for the fiber connection coming into the house. Just a curiosity, FWIW.

1 Like

Was it the exact same address or just in the same subnet?
If it was “upstream” of your router it would, I believe, get it’s address from the fiber router on the ISP side.
The ISP router is in their CO so nothing in your house but the converter to ethernet, at least in my case that is how it is set-up. Confused me at first to not have a crappy ISP supplied router to deal with.
So in essence it would get it own WAN IP for internet access instead of getting a LAN IP served up by your router. I am by no means an expert here so YMMV and all that.

Thanks for chiming in. The address is of the same type as my internet IP address, i.e. 184.12.xxx.yy, but the last two nodes are different.

If a switch has an address then I would say that it was the address of the switch that was the first device in the chain and was upstream from my router. Dunno.

The mystery (or maybe not) is why everything else used my router’s DHCP or kept their previously reserved IP, i.e. 192.168.0.xxx. Even devices that were directly connected to said upstream switch.

Roon, or maybe it’s post-ARC Roon, is doing something different under the covers that none of my other devices do.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.