ROCK NUC Endpoint Naming

Is there anyway that the ROCK OS could be slightly altered to allow naming a NUC with a different name than “ROCK” during the installation of the OS? Of course you’d want the default name of “ROCK” for those that are setting up a NUC as the core. But for those that have setup an additional ROCK NUC to serve as an endpoint only (NOT as the Roon core), an option to replace the default name of “ROCK” with one of our own would be great. That way, the unit would show up with that alternate name on our Network without having to access it through its IP address all the time (or am I mistaken in this thinking?).

Better yet, of course, would be to create a ROCK Endpoint Only (bridge) OS in addition to the ROCK OS, but I don’t think that’s going to happpen :wink::grin:

• john

There may be a workaround (although I haven’t tried this, so I can’t guarantee it will work).
A Core can be renamed on the Settings/Setup page. So, you could perhaps temporarily authorize your NUC Endpoint as a Core to get to rename it, and then switch back to your other Core?

1 Like

You can rename your ROCK endpoint.
Settings: Setup: Core Name
The default is “Roon Operating Core Kit” but it can be changed.
You will still see the device identified as ROCK in some places but that is where the device is identified by its operating system rather than the name you give it.

1 Like

Thanks, guys. Went ahead and did as suggested (deauthorized my core, selected the endpoint as the new core, and renamed it). It looks like now, Roon identifies the endpoint-only ROCK NUC with the name I gave it when it asks me to choose a core. However, as the actual ROCK OS installation process automatically named the device itself internally as “ROCK”, it still won’t show up as a part of my Network in Windows 10 - that’s what I was actually after. My normal ROCK core NUC shows up as a part of my network as “ROCK”, but the endpoint-only ROCK NUC doesn’t show up with its name in the Windows Network page (or at all, unless I access it through its IP address). I already had it named in the Audio Settings since installation, but to name the physical device itself with something other than ROCK and have it show up as a part of my Network under that name, still no-go. Course, I could be doing something wrong or incompletely. It doesn’t affect its function at all - just wanted it as a matter of convenience and personal preference.

John, thanks for reporting back on this. Indeed it appears as though the network name is fixed. I suspect this is an issue for only a small percentage of the customer base, but by raising it in the Feature Requests category it will at least be noted by the Roon Labs team.

1 Like

I asked this question some year or more back and was told this won’t happen. I guess it because its likely to mess up the ease of how to find the rock.local for the bulk of most users. I have all my endpoints a rock is one of them using reserved IP addresses and so know where they will be found by IP address.

1 Like

The name causes a conflict in Windows though. So regardless of IP the simple act of drag and drop to move files becomes problematic.

1 Like

Yes, this was my thinking; that having two network attached computers (ROCK NUCs) with the same name would cause issues, even though they have different IP addresses. However, no real conflicts – but I don’t store any files on the 2nd NUC nor use it for backup. It functions as expected for its primary purpose - a Roon RAAT ethernet endpoint for HDMI (or USB) transmission of digital music files to an appropriate decoder. The only issue I have encountered is the one where (I guess) the network will not show the 2nd NUC (Roon endpoint-only), because the ROCK core NUC is already there with the same name. Still, I’d like to see it appear in my network with its own name.