ROCK NUC Internal Storage?

I may be overthinking this.

The ROCK Knowledge Base says: “The largest hard disk that you can currently fit in a NUC is 2TB, and the largest SSD is 8TB.”

Is this just an old no longer applies reference meaning “they only make 2.5” HDDs up to 2T", or does it mean that ROCK can’t address HDDs larger than 2T?

Obvious reason - I’m thinking about upgrading the 2T internal capacity of my nuc5i7BNH.

I think “fit” is the keyword, it has to do with the physical size of the drive vs space in the NUC. I have not heard of any limitations with the OS on the amount of space it can address.

It’s a physical thing. The spinny disks that are bigger than 2T are physically fatter, and won’t fit in the enclosures.

So you either get an external, get an SSD, or get a case that’ll take bigger drives.

There is a size limitation. 2.5” drive Thats no more than 9mm thick.

Its possible to run the OS from the 2.5"drive and store your music on the m.2 drive. This is what I have done. I currently have my collection on a 2TB m.2 but they go up to 8tb if you have the money.

It’s possible, but… why do it ?

I assumed the user was looking to expand their storage capacity beyond 2 tb. If you are asking why I’ve done it, because I read it about it on these forums and it seemed like a good idea. Certainly makes my user experience seamless and provides expansion if I ever need it.

You’d usually store your database on the much faster m.2 (because said database makes use of the capabilities), and your files on the SATA drive (because reading music files doesn’t need insane speeds, even a regular SSD is overkill by an order of magnitude or two) is why I asked…

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I have ROCK installed on the M2 for speed and the library on the HDD. It looks as though there are 2.5" 7mm thick HDDs up to around 4TB now, which was the reason for my question.

If for some reason ROCK couldn’t address more than 2TB then that’d be an expansion problem for the internal storage.

Glad to hear that’s not the problem.

1 Like

If there are, they’re probably SSDs - mind sharing what you found ?

I was wrong on that. I did a cursory search and must have mixed SSDs and HDDs. With the prices of both coming down the lines are getting muddled. And, unfortunately, sometimes the thickness spec isn’t clearly stated.

I installed a Samsung 4T SSD 2.5 drive in my Rock NUC and a 256GB M2 SSD for the Rock OS.

Works fine.

(Audio)