ROCK NUC needs [Solved - Enabled DHCP in Router Settings]

Hi @Jon_Bjorn,

I spoke to the team today regarding your case, and it does seem like the Nucleus doesn’t have an internet connection or something is blocking it. I have a few further questions/suggestions:

1. Can you please let me know the model/manufacturer of your networking gear?

2. If you connect the same Ethernet cable to the Nucleus to a PC and use the PC to temporarily host your Roon Core, do you experience similar behavior?

3. Are you by any chance using a “MAC Address White-list” feature in your router config? If someone else set this up, it would be good to ask them also.

4. Can you share a screenshot of your Nucleus’ Web UI page?

Thanks,
Noris

Dear Norris,

Really appreciate the help so far. I will get back to you with the info within the next few days.

Kind regards, Jon

1 Like

Hi Noris,

So I have had a chance to review all of the questions, see below:

1. Can you please let me know the model/manufacturer of your networking gear. Answer: I connect to the router through an ethernet cable. The router is a Sagemcom V5DK45-01-SG72113250310. This is connected to a Alcatel-Lucent I-010G-U, which in turn is connected to a small white box which i think does nothing but relay the fiber optic cable into the house (no immediately visible manufacturer, sorry). We connect to the internet through a fiber optic connection, which is common in Denmark.
  2. If you connect the same Ethernet cable to the Nucleus to a PC and use the PC to temporarily host your Roon Core, do you experience similar behavior? Answer: No. When doing that, the PC (which is an old MacBook Pro) works fine and will play music through Roon
  3. Are you by any chance using a “MAC Address White-list” feature in your router config? If someone else set this up, it would be good to ask them also. Answer: After googling what that is, I am fairly sure the answer to that is no. We have never had any issues connecting other devices to the network and I certainly have not set such a function up my self. When accessing the router settings, I can not find such a list either
  4. Can you share a screenshot of your Nucleus’ Web UI page? Answer: I am attaching a screen shot

Hi @Jon_Bjorn,

Thank you for letting me know that info, I have requested the technical team to review it and will let you know after we discuss next steps. I appreciate your patience while we review the network setup to see if there are any other possible causes of this issue.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @Jon_Bjorn,

I spoke to the team recently regarding your case. There are a few other things that we can try here but just to be clear – the issue here appears that the ROCK has no internet access at all, and finding where exactly things are being blocked will be essential to ensure that other functions of Roon also work properly after the update (account authentication, metadata lookups, ect.). On to the troubleshooting steps:

1. Can you try a full ROCK reboot procedure to see if it helps at all? To do this you need to:
  • Open the ROCK Web UI
  • Locate the red button on the upper right
  • Click it once -> Press Reboot
  • Wait for the ROCK to reboot
  • On the WebUI press Roon Server Software -> Restart
  • Try updating again
  1. Try setting a manual static IP address for your ROCK. This can be done by clicking the “Static IP” button in your screenshot (under IP Address Setup) and placing the same values that you have there for DHCP in static IP except then using a different DNS server. The specific DNS server is suggested to be Google (8.8.8.8) or Cloudflare (1.1.1.1).

2. Contacting the network gear manufacturer to see if they can suggest any configuration options for your specific router model. There may be a setting or MAC address white-list that you are not aware of, it would be good to double check.

3. Trying the ROCK on a different network as a temporary test to see if there is a change in behavior. This different network can be at a friend or family’s house. It would not resolve the issue completely since the ROCK may work on the other network and not yours but it will provide us a good data point on where to keep searching.

Please do let me know your results from my above suggestions!

– Noris

Dear Noris @support,

Finally the music is playing with good help from a friend who knows a lot more about computers than I do.

It turned out that DHCP was not enabled on the router (it was hard to find the place to change the setting due to the somewhat confusing GUI on the router’s admin panel). After enabling DHCP on the router and the NUC, everything seems to work as expected.

In case others read this post with similar issues: click the little “Home” icon in the top right corner on the router’s admin panel to find the DHCP settings.

Kind regards,
Jon

2 Likes

Hi @Jon_Bjorn,

Thanks for the update here and glad to hear that things are working after enabling DHCP!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.