ROCK on new NUC 7I7BNH

Hello everyone,

I´ve just installed ROCK on a brand new NUC 7i7BNH. This NUC should replace my MAC MINI in the hope to increase the sound quality. The NUC has a 128SSD M2 and 8GIGs of RAM on board.

After updating the BIOS, loading the CODECS and looking for the new NUC on my system, I was ready to listen to some music. I´m running ROCK 1.5 (build 354)

Once I’ve disconnected my MAC MINI as a CORE, I could not connect the NUC. Although I can see it, I can read on the screen “Roon is trying to connect, buy it looks like on or more devices on your network need a software update”.

By clicking on the NUC the updating does not start and this message comes up “…there was an error checking for an update…”.

Any thoughts? Many thanks for your help
s

Power off everything on the network. Power cycle the WiFi router. Wait for a few minutes then power on everything else.

Hi @Sebastian_Luchessa,

If there is still an issue with updating the ROCK after performing a power cycle as Peter suggests, you can always use the Web UI to perform a manual update by clicking the “Reinstall” OS button.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks Peter, will try this afternoon and let you know

Noris Tks, I did try this last night before writing the post, The funny thing is that I do not find anything to update, since the firmwares on ROON and ROCK seem to be up to date.
S

What other Roon devices are on your network and are they up to date?

HI, well my Mac Mini (my main CORE) and 3 remotes on IPhone, IPad and Win PC. They`re all up to date
S

Hello @Sebastian_Luchessa,

If all of your devices are up to date it would be strange to see that message. Do you mind posting a screenshot of the information that the message displays? You can use these instructions to upload screenshots to Community.

Thanks,
Noris

Everything looks ok, but I cannot connect to the NUC.
Rock keeps on asking for and update I do not seem to find…

I get this message: there was an error checking for an update… try again…

Hi @Sebastian_Luchessa,

Thanks for providing those screenshots. It looks like your Roon Remotes are up to date but the ROCK itself is not. Can you please try this to see if it helps?

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks Noris for your help, but I may be out of luck. I could not get ROCK to update

Hello @Sebastian_Luchessa,

Don’t worry, you are not out of luck as there are still more options to explore but they are a bit more intensive. Ok, let’s start with making sure that there are no DNS issues that could be happening on your network.

Can you please change your router’s DNS from the ISP provided ones to Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS and try the update again? This process would be similar to this video which highlights DNS changes on TP-Link routers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh2mVOm2G8Q) although it may be slightly different for your model.

Thanks,
Noris

Please confirm you did power cycle the router - this is important. If you already did, then you need to change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 as noris said.

Thanks it´s early AM here, will try this afternoon and let you both now

1 Like

let you both know…I meant…

Hi Sebastian, just an FYI, you can click on the 3 dots under a message and get a pencil icon which will allow you to edit the message instead of posting a followup correction.

Thanks Rugby, I´not used to write on chats.

I´m glad to report that my new NUC it´s up and running.

After changing the internal network DNS’ as indicated by Noris and Peter, the NUC loaded the upgrade to V1.6 Build 401.

I hope to start listening some music whithin the hour!

Thanks for all your help and patience
best
s

1 Like

Hi @Sebastian_Luchessa,

Great to hear the the NUC is up and running! As you’re diving deeper and deeper into Roon, I would highly suggest taking a look over our Knowledge Base first for any questions that you may have.

If you can’t locate any needed information there, you can always ask the community in our Roon Software Section. Thanks again for contacting us and I wish you an enjoyable Roon experience! :headphones:

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.