ROCK on NUC -> Auralic Aries -> Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ (a few problems)

Hello- I am hoping that there is an easy fix and maybe I didn’t set something up right? But here is my problem- when I stream tidal through Roon, even when its a MASTER, the DAC is not receiving the MQA data. Also, the DAC display says that all music is 32 bit, doesn’t matter whether its actually 16 bit or 24 bit.,and the MQA light does not come on, and it it says usually Redbook is 44 while Tidal is 48. Even Tidal masters that are 24/192 display as 32/48.

Here is why I beleive the issue is with Roon - because when I use Lightning DS (the software that came with the Aries) to send my music to the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, the DAC displays the proper info 16 vs 24 bit, and 44/48/192, etc. and the MQA light comes on when streaming MASTERS indicating that its receiving MQA properly. (I have a backup copy of my music on a portable HD that I leave plugged into the back of the Aries. As for Roon, my music is stored on an internal 2 TB drive in the NUC)… Tidal is set up to work with both Roon and Lightning DS.

Here is how I have everything set up:
Roon ROCK on an i7 NUC, connected to my router via network cable. (Thats it- nothing else is connected to the NUC).
Auralic Aries connected to router via network cable, and feeding the DAC via USB.
Mytek Brooklyn DAC fed music from Aries via USB Cable.

So- what am I doing wrong? Thanks!!

Check this out, along with the following posts. I think this is your issue.

Hi David, thanks for your reply. I do not believe that is the issue (although I am definitely no expert). Here is why:

Until a few hours ago, I was experiencing the exact same issues with the regular MYTEC Brooklyn DAC. A few hours ago, I swapped the DAC+ in in place of the regular DAC. I knew earlier I was having some sort of issue, but now I am certain what the issue is after testing Lighting DS versus Roon with everything else the same. The reason I waited until now to try to solve the problem is that I figured I would not spend the time to dig in until the DAC+ arrived because I wanted to get everything working with the components that I plan to keep in the system long term. I am also very new too Roon, having only just subscribed.

@danny, what do you think?

I have been going back and forth between Roon and Lighting DS and MASTERS on lightning DS definitely sounds better which is subjective evidence that supports the objective problems I noticed… for what its worth… I hope there is a fix because I am now spoiled by the Roon interface and would not enjoy having to go back to Lightning DS although its a very effective piece of software, its just not in the same league as Roon.

Hi @FLHRSI ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, the insight is very appreciated!

Moving forward, in regard to the DAC+ would you kindly verify for me what firmware version you are currently running? Furthermore, can you please provide a screenshot of your signal path leaving Roon when you make this observation:

“…when I stream tidal through Roon, even when its a MASTER, the DAC is not receiving the MQA data. Also, the DAC display says that all music is 32 bit, doesn’t matter whether its actually 16 bit or 24 bit.,and the MQA light does not come on, and it it says usually Redbook is 44 while Tidal is 48. Even Tidal masters that are 24/192 display as 32/48.”

-Eric

Hi @Eric, I have been away from my system for the holidays and will respond in detail upon my return on Jan 2. Thanks!

Hello. I turned off cross-fade and now The DAC+ seems to be receiving MQA files because the MQA light is on when streaming Tidal Masters. It also now appears to be displaying the proper file info (24/96 for example). Could it be that simple? (After I confirmed it was working, I also went ahead and upgraded the DAC+ firmware to the latest version, and the Aries updated itself to its latest firmware as well). If the problem returns, I’ll report back.