Rock on NUC permanently scanning

Hello,

I have one question… my Nuc running ROCK is scanning now all the time… is this normal?

Point 1 doesnt move since 1 week
Point 2 increased since sunday from115084 to 116969
Circle for showing that scan is running (upper right) runs all the time…

Anybody know this issue, or isnt it any issue at all?
I have no performance problems or any other issues but still it appears a littl odd, i never had this using my qnap NAS.

Kind regards
Andy

Hi,

It’s not normal, are those numbers in your screen shot updating are or have they stalled?

Try a reboot, but if that does not work, it’s best to get advice from Roon’s @support team … so I’ve moved your post over to #support.

Hello Carl,

Thanks for moving to the right place. Reboot doesnt change anything.

Number of “Files Scanned” is moving (Slowly). Now after Reboot ist jumped back to 114602.
Track Imported doenst move at all.

Some addtional infos, which might help.

Im running Rock on NUC BOXNUC8I7BEH2 with 32GB Ram and 256GB SSD and 4tB Samsung 860EVO

Roon Server Software: Version 1.7 (build 610)
OPerating System: Version 1.0 (build 227)

Remotes are Huawei Mate 20 Pro and main remote is A Microsoft Surface

Im having 8099 Albums with 104685 Tracks

Hello @Rantanplanary, and thanks for your report! Could you please reboot and when the circle gets stuck again, send me another screenshot of where its stuck and I’ll enable diagnostics for your account and take a look? Thanks!

Hello Nuwriy,

What exactly do you mean with “circle”?

The circle sign right top is moving all the time
Number of files scanned is permanently moving but very slow
Number if tracks imported doesn’t move at all.

Kind regards
Andy

Hello @Rantanplanary,

I’d like to enable some diagnostics on your account so we can take a look at what you’re experiencing here. Before I do this, may I ask that you please do the following and make a note of the time you do each:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

This should allow the team to gain some insight into what you’re experiencing in the report. Once you’ve done this let me know the timestamps and I’ll enable diagnostics on your account. When the diagnostics report is uploaded I’ll send it over to our team for analysis.

@nuwriy:

This is my sequence from today 05.09.2020 - Austria time (GMT+2):

Press Reboot: 11:34

Reboot Error: 11:35

Press Reboot again: 11:35
Reboot Error again: 11:37
Press Power off: 11:37
Press Power button on Hardware: 11:38
Connected to NUC: 11:40

5 minutes Spinning

Press Reboot: 11:46
Error Reboot: 11:47

No connection to NUC until: 11:48
Press Power off: 11:49
Press Power button on Hardware: 11:50

connected and spinning since:11:51

Just a thought, but can you use the Windows File Explorer on your Surface to take a look at the internal data storage folders on your NUC?

Entering the network address of \\ROCK\Data\Storage\InternalStorage should show them. Do you see a further folder also called InternalStorage in that list, and does that also have a complete listing of your storage folders as well?

See here:

Hello,

Everything accesible via Windows File explorer and also all Folders there.
Folderstructure is normal as i copied them in the first time.

1 Like

Thanks for the timestamps, @Rantanplanary! We’ll have the team look into both the scanning issue and the restart error.

1 Like

Hello @Rantanplanary, and thanks for your patience while our team investigates this issue. I spoke to the team about this thread and they wanted to know if you have any other programs that are accessing the storage location. We also wanted to know if other storage locations would present the same issue. Could you please temporarily disable your internal storage, add some tracks to a USB drive, and enable a watched folder from the USB to see what happens?

The reasons for these questions is that we’re seeing multiple traces in your logs that show an unhandled storage exception:

09/06 17:56:25 Critical: [storage] [directory] Unhandled storage exception: System.ArgumentException: String contains invalid Unicode code points. (Parameter 'strInput')
   at System.Globalization.Normalization.ValidateArguments(String strInput, NormalizationForm normalizationForm)
   at System.Globalization.Normalization.Normalize(String strInput, NormalizationForm normalizationForm)
   at Sooloos.Storage.NormalizedComparer.GetHashCode(String s)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.FindEntry(TKey key)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.TryGetValue(TKey key, TValue& value)
   at Sooloos.Storage.DirectoryStorage._ScanDirectory(Boolean updatestatus, String scandirpath, Boolean recurse)
   at Sooloos.Storage.DirectoryStorage.<>c__DisplayClass99_0.<_SpinWorkQueue>b__0()

Hello Nuwri,

THanks for your feedback, and just to get it right. I have still my roon core on my NAS QNAP and im swithcing back at the moment to check if same issues are there.

No, not that i know. NUC is only for Roon ROCK on it.

1. i will disabe internal Drive via BIOS, right?
  2. i will connect a USB Drive with some Music folders and enbale a watched folder on this, right?

No, disable it via the Roon Settings > Storage page. Click the “3 dots” menu to the right of the storage location entry on that page, and choose “Disable”.

You can re-enable it after the testing is done.

1 Like

Hello @Rantanplanary, geoff is correct here. Please let me know how it goes!

Hello,

I have done 2 things until now…

1. i have switched to my other core which is on a NAS Qnap TS-451 and the result ist that there are no scanning issues. It took some hours to scan what has been added in the last weeks but now everything is silent.

2. Stupid as i am, i have pressed the button to reinstall the OS on my NUC. since then i have no connection anymore to it. :slight_smile: i fear i have to reinstall completely… am i right?

Sorry, something wrong with the network cable… its back again. i can do the test with the usb stick within the next 2 hours.

Dear guys, ihave done as suggested… no scanning is ongoing right now…

could you please suggest next steps?

thank you

Hello @Rantanplanary, so we’ve then narrowed down the issue to your storage location. This leads me to believe the QA team’s suspicion is correct. Are there other programs scanning that storage location?

Hello,

Looks like.

No, not that i know. from time to time im scanning the folders via Total Commander to backup my music files. but there should be no other program scanning this location.
is it possible, that windows is doing something via SMB Shared folder?

i have avtivaetd the internal storage location again and scanning has started as before.

Again Number of “Files Scanned” is increasing slowly (now after 5 minutes after reactivation at 115928)
And Number of “Tracks Imported” stays at 105730

Now after 1 hour or reactivation Number of “Files Scanned” is 116136
And Number of “Tracks Imported” stays at 105730