ROCK on NUC stopped reading USB attached HDD

Before RoonOS build 254 that was released last fall, it used the older Linux driver for NTFS. This one had some issues because NTFS is a proprietary and questionably documented file system. It’s a bad idea to use it with Linux for anything important, and the ROCK documentation specifically recommends (and always did) against using it for external disks that are connected to ROCK.

It’s entirely possible that occasional errors occurred without doing anything specific, simply caused by bugs in the Linux driver.

Since RoonOS build 254, it uses the new driver that was added to the Linux kernel in spring 2022, made possible by a generous (and surprising) donation of code by Paragon Software, who had invested lots of efforts into reverse engineering NTFS.

This new driver is much more strict about NTFS file systems being error free (which is important to guard against later corruption), and after the RoonOS update there were lots of cases on the forum where the new driver refused to mount disks that the older RoonOS had accepted. One cause of such refusal was unsafely removing (simply unplugging) the drive from the Windows machine.

Therefore, it’s entirely reasonable to try and rule out first that your issue belongs to the same family.

Roon Team: I have resolved my issue. As I proposed earlier, I removed the path to the HDD in the storage settings and then reinstalled it. The ROCK saw the music folder on my hard drive.
Thanks

1 Like

Glad you found it. FWIW I did ask you to clarify about the storage settings a while ago,

but you were busy explaining what you don’t want check

Sorry. I most likely didn’t understand what you were trying to tell me.

We all do our best :slight_smile: I could have asked again. I’m glad you found the issue eventually!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.