ROCK on Skull Canyon NUC: No HDMI output to Denon AVR

Thanks for your time and suggestions. I have learned a lot from this.

Regarding your comment about multi-channel, it was my understanding that the post you referred to was about native DSD multi-channel via the Oppo USB DAC. I can confirm that Roon was never able to play the multi-channel DSD files, DSD64 or higher, through my Oppo USB DAC. I was able to play native DSD two-channel files up to DSD256 until I upgraded the DAC firmware to 0118.

My Oppo was always able to play the DSD files up to DSD128, stereo and multi-channel, when using its menu system to select the files from my NAS.

I can confirm that I am able to play all my multi-channel and stereo DSD files through my HDMI connection to my Oppo. Here’s the signal path.

I’m very happy that I haven’t lost that compability. They sound very good, although not the same as the native DSD signal source.

OK. And you’re sure that the Oppo isn’t playing multichannel back as 7CH Stereo? Have you got a multichannel test recording to check? I think they are readily available on the 'net…

One last question: have you got the latest firmware installed on your Denon? I believe that there was a recent firmware released to address HDMI handshake issues - but I don’t know whether this was made available for models prior to 2018…

Edit: and yet another question - you have a Vizio TV connected to the Denon? Is there a UHD (4K) setting for the HDMI input that you are using? And is it on? This was causing me some headscratching with our Samsung TV recently… It may in fact need to be Off for Roon…

Geoff, RAAT does not run via HDMI. OPPO’s limited RAAT implementation does not affect its HDMI input, only its network and USB connections.

AJ

Ah, thanks Andrew. So Allan is OK then. That’s good to know.

Yes, the channel mapping is correct on the multi-channel file playback. I have purchased many multi-channel albums from 2L and NativeDSD, and ripped all of my SACDs so I have these files in all formats. So far, they all play.

My Denon reports that it has the latest firmware.

My Oppo’s HDMI (Main) output is connected to one of the 4K HDMI connections on my Vizio P702ui-B3 and it’s HDMI (Audio) output is connected to my Denon. I don’t recall seeing individual settings for each type of HDMI connector on my Vizio; they are all labeled with their capabilities. My Denon is connected to the Vizio’s HDMI ARC connection.

Hmm. Can you try a non-ARC input to the TV from the Denon?

My old Denon does not support ARC, so I use a Toslink cable to return the TV audio to the Denon (can handle up to 5.1 channels).