ROCK OS not detecting SATA SSD on NUC

ROCK RoonOS 1.0 build 186

I just installed ROCK on a NUC8i5BEH, which is equipped with a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, a 500GB Samsung 960 EVO SATA SSD, and Corsair Vengeance 1x16GB 2400 MHz DDR4. After installing the OS, I installed the ffmpeg file to enable codecs, and restored my Roon database from a backup made from a prior copy of Roon that had been used under Windows 10.

Now I want to copy my 240 GB collection of ALAC music files onto the SATA SSD in the NUC. When I use the web interface (i.e. http://[ip address]) to visit the Roon ROCK System Status page, it shows Operating System, Roon Database & Settings, and Roon Server Software all as OK. However, there is no entry for on this page for “Internal Music Storage.”

Does this mean that the RoonOS is not detecting the SATA SSD? Can you tell me what to do next to get it to recognize the drive and transfer my music files to it? Thanks in advance.

I had a similar issue when putting together a nuc8i7beh.

Did the Sata drive show up in the Bios? Try pulling and reconnecting the Sata drive connectors. That worked for me.

You should see an option in the web ui to format the drive when it is detected.

Hi @Frank_O,

If there is nothing showing on the Web UI for Internal Storage, Roon is not able to see the drive. Is the device seeing the drive at all in BIOS?

Thanks for the suggestion. It took a couple of tries reseating the SSD, but I finally got the NUC and Roon to see it, got it formatted within Roon, and I’m now copying over the music files. With both the NUC and my source Mac on hardwire Ethernet it looks like it will take about an hour over the smb connection. So all appears to be good! Appreciate the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.