ROCK restarts, Background Audio Analysis Stuck [SOLVED]

Issue: Roon audio stops at random intervals (minutes) during playback from NAS or Tidal sources on any playback devices: (Intel NUC i7 16GB memory Windows10 and Ropieee version 235 on Raspberry Pi B, Allo DigiOne).
(NAS QNAP TS-231+ Firmware V4.3.5 Build 20181110)

Investigation shows ROCK Server restarting at each occurrence of audio stop.
ROCK Intel NUC i3 8GB memory No files stored on ROCK. Operating System Version 1.0 (build 159) stable Roon Server Software Version 1.5 (build 363) stable

Network: All devices wired with fixed IP addresses

I noticed that Roon Library Background Audio Analysis is stuck Analyzing: 0/2 and has been for weeks. I have stopped and started Audio Analysis and no change.
Have run Library Cleanup in the past deleting 2 files and system ran fine until Analyzing 0/2 status resurfaced.
Have inspected Roon Library tags for errors on files on stored on NAS and cannot find any errors. While there are few files stored, Roon cannot find Album information, so no metadata information from Roon, so I’ve edited it. My library may have atypical files, i.e., one piece is 27 hours long stored as 320k mp3. Not sure if this poses an issue.

No playback issues via Tidal or NAS without Roon.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Hello @C_Cowdery,

This could very well be the atypical files you mentioned causing the issues here. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

I kindly ask for you to note the exact local time (ex. 7:12PM) for one of the server restarts and we can take a look to see if Roon is displaying any errors at that timestamp that could be media related.

Thanks,
Noris

I did a forced restart at 12:52PM EST on 18 Dec.
I am aware that there have been multiple restarts in the last 24 hours.
Additionally, the Background Audio Analysis is stuck on Analyzing: 0/2

Regards,

Clay

Hello @C_Cowdery,

Thanks for letting me know that timestamp. I have just checked our servers and there does not seem to be a diagnostics report received on our end. Can I please ask you to follow these instructions (https://kb.roonlabs.com/Logs) and manually send us a log report as a shared Dropbox or Google Drive file?

Please let me know if you are able to do this and we can take a look for any errors around that timestamp.

Thanks,
Noris

Norris –

Thank you very much for the instructions to capture the ROCK logs.
The instructions were very clear.

I have uploaded the Log Folder zip file to your support server.

Clay

@C_Cowdery Logs

Hello @C_Cowdery,

Thank you for submitting those logs to us. I have taken a look and have found that analysis is stuck on these two tracks:

12/19 19:03:16 Trace: [analysis] analyzing trackid=260914 url=/roon/sys/storage/smbmounts/RoonStorage_e7c83db5d8494a741a1a06eb54882e33a3ff8bbb/Audio/Uncompressed/Terre Thaemlitz/Soulnessless/cantos_1-4/audio/05_canto_5.mp3
12/19 19:03:16 Trace: [analysis] analyzing trackid=259634 url=/roon/sys/storage/smbmounts/RoonStorage_e7c83db5d8494a741a1a06eb54882e33a3ff8bbb/Audio/Uncompressed/Terre Thaemlitz/Soulnessless/canto_5/05_canto_5.mp3

Can I please ask you to do the following:

1. Locate those tracks in your library
  2. Upload them to our support server (preferably as a .zip file)
  3. Move them outside of your watched storage location (not copy but move)
  4. Restart your ROCK via the WebUI. As In:

Please let me know if performing the above process allows the background analysis to complete.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris –

Thank you for your continued support.

As I said, my music library is diverse.

The pieces referenced were uploaded to to the NAS from the SD format on which they are originally purchased and distributed. They include multimedia files: audio, text, images and i want to respect the artists work.
With that being said, there are redundant files as you have identified. The redundant files while mp3 and rather small, capture a piece that is >27 hours long.

As a first step, I deleted one of the duplicate instances of the mp3 files, rearranged the multimedia files, and deleted one directory in an effort to simplify everything.
I ran a Library cleanup to remove the duplicate file.
I stopped Background Audio Analysis and restarted it.
I do not see that the background analysis is stuck.
The ROCK has been running for the last 9+ hours with no restarts.

Would you still like to examine the offending directories / files?

Clay

Hello @C_Cowdery,

Thanks for letting me know that removing those offending files has allowed analysis to complete. I understand that your request and we wish to respect the artists work here, but if you are able to submit those offending .mp3 files for analysis that would help us understand this failure state better and hopefully prevent it in the future.

Rest assured, these files will only be used for internal purposes and will not be distributed outside our team. If you are able to upload them, please let me know the name of the .zip file and I can get them over to QA to take a look to see why it caused the analysis issue you saw in Roon.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris –

Unfortunately, I am unable to upload to the support server as I get a “File too big” error.
The zip file is 17.5 GB.

Clay

Thanks for letting me know @C_Cowdery.

That file is a bit too large to upload directly to us so no worries about getting it over to take a look.
Appreciate your willingness to do so regardless and do let us know if you have any issues in the future.

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.