ROCK Run OK for 8+ hours then stops showing "Roon Database and Settings Not Ready"

Roon Core Machine

NUCI3 as per exact recommended 11th Gen model
8GB RAM
256GB M2 SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hello,

Second time in 24 hours ROCK has crashed on me causing audio to be unavailable when out and about.

I get this error, can someone from ROON support do some troubleshooting? Might be a proper issue/bug here as I am using the exact same combination of NUC and parts as recommended on the Rock guide and bought them all new from the links.

Ironic that I had zero issues with a docker roon image for a year on a synology NAS, was just chasing more speed…

Wow this is interesting! Exactly the same issue.

My Rock sits happily like this screenshot for a while, then just goes offline / crashes showing not ready like yours.

This is often a sign of a failing drive or other component. Connect the nuc to a monitor or Tv and check if it gives any error messages on th output when this happens.

Brand new hardware so i’d hope not…! I was hoping the roon logs would be requested by support and checked for anything roon wise.

Plugged in a head, but just sitting on ROON screen not sure that would show any logs on the console. Lets see.

Ram and disks can still fail if new. It’s just one avenue to check. Another user had s similar issue and it was bad ram. It may well be something software side but it’s best to trouble shoot what you can before support pop up.

Agree. I’ve had USB drives die after a month!

I am well aware, i’m an IT consultant by trade. It’s pretty rare though.

I made it to 9.5 hours this time… last time was around 8

Mines been OK for a few days now.

The symptoms displayed in your screenshot are usually an indication that the M.2 SSD is failing. You could try reinstalling Roon OS using the Reinstall button on the Web Administration page, but there’s a chance that this may not correct an underlying problem of the hardware.

1 Like

Hey @Jiri_Rozinek,

I wanted to follow up on this thread to see if @Geoff_Coupe’s last reply was helpful? Usually, reinstalling the OS can be helpful here (followed by a reboot of the core as well) but Geoff is also correct in that if it is indeed a failing SSD, this issue may pop back up in the future.

Let me know :+1:

Hello,

I have reinstalled a couple of times. I got 5 days out of it before it crashed/went offline this time. It is still happening.

Are there any logs that would indicate why it ‘goes down’ that could be reviewed?

Cheers

Tristan

Hi @Snook,

Apologies for closing the thread. I have re-opened it as there is not yet a clear solution, nor any direct indication of the issue when enabling diagnostics on your account outside of potential failure in hardware.

Is your webUI still showing your database as Not Ready? If possible, could you take note of the date and time the next time you run into this issue?

1 Like

Will take note next time and advise.

When it breaks/goes down, WebUI ends up not loading at all actually most times, but monitor that is connected is just sitting there with the normal ROCK screen like everything is fine :slight_smile:

Hi Benjamin, noticed its down now. Just get a timed out on the IP of ROCK in a browser. Boot screen shows the generic ‘Ready’ for action screen. Starting Roon client shows this.

Last time I know it was 100% working was a couple of days ago.

Can you take a look? I will hard reset it now to bring it back up and push fresh logs through as well.

Hey @Snook,

Thanks for following up. With the pattern of how your ROCK is behaving, signs do still point at SSD failure.

Do you have a recently saved backup? I would look at SSD replacement as a next step, and then restore from a backup once you’ve replaced the SSD.

Bought a whole new SSD for main PC and moving my old samsung 970 evo that i know for a fact works fine into the NUC. If this does not work, im going to be very frustrated haha. I tested the RAM all night too with memtest86 and it was 100% fine.