ROCK server database and settings "not ready"

Before I get to details, it would be really helpful if the ROCK web interface presented debug info so I could copy-and-paste it, including info about the state of the SSD.

In general, what I’m seeing is the same as here, on a NUC/ROCK box that’s been running fine for awhile.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC 7I7BNH
ROCK
Version 1.0 (build 227) stable
1000GB, Samsung SSD 860

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

I don’t think this is relevant, but I am on a Plume mesh network, with ROCK NUC connected by ethernet to the main pod.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

NA

Description Of Issue

See above. I just need to know what to do; should I reset? How do I figure out if the drive is bad?

Hi, @sm31, sorry to hear about your troubles. Could you, please, tell the following – did you try re-installing the OS via webUI? If not it’s worth trying. Reinstall does not affect your Roon Database. Another question here is do you have a backup of your Roon Database?

Thanks!

Ivan

I did just try to reinstall the server software, but got an error after awhile, suggesting I check the network connection.

Error
Something went wrong with the installation. Please check your internet connection and try again.

But not sure why that would be an issue, given a) I have no problem with the network in general, and b) I can access the web interface.

I actually don’t have a recent backup. I turned that feature off because of the size of the backups.

I just now reset the database, and it still says “not ready.”

Hi @sm31,

We’ve enabled diagnostics on your account and we’ll review the diagnostics report with our team. We’ll follow up with you as soon as we can, but please note that the queue is a little longer than typical right now due to the holidays. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @sm31, we recently enabled diagnostics on your account but it looks like your core hasn’t connected to our servers in a few days. Could you please reboot your core and let me know when you’ve done so and I’ll attempt to collect the diagnostic again? Thanks!

I rebooted it a few times since reporting this, and just did again.

My Plume app tells me the server is connected to my network, with an “excellent” connection.

Any other ideas?

Can I get an update? I know it’s been holidays, but I reported this 11 days ago.

Hello @sm31, my apologies for the delayed response here. So since I have enabled diagnostics for your device it hasn’t made a connection to our servers in order to upload the report. Could you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Hmm … my data folder seems to be missing a number of expected directories, including for the logs. Here’s what I see:

Do I need to look into reinstalling ROCK??

Hello @sm31, without the logs I can’t confirm exactly what’s going on but this does have some signs of a hard drive issue. Do you have another drive you can try installing on and see if that works better?

Yes, I do; will give it a try and report back.

Actually, I don’t have the right kind of SSD drive free.

But I removed the existing one and ran smartcl on it. Is this helpful to confirm whether or not the drive is the problem? Or is there another easy way for me to test it?

Vendor:               Samsung
 Product:              SSD 860 EVO 1TB
 Revision:             0
 Compliance:           SPC-4
 User Capacity:        1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]
 Logical block size:   512 bytes
 LU is fully provisioned
 Rotation Rate:        Solid State Device
 Form Factor:          2.5 inches
 Logical Unit id:      0x5000000000000001
 Device type:          disk
 Local Time is:        Thu Jan 14 13:21:35 2021 EST
 SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.
 SMART support is:     Enabled
 Temperature Warning:  Disabled or Not Supported

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
 SMART Health Status: OK
 Current Drive Temperature:     0 C
 Drive Trip Temperature:        0 C

Error Counter logging not supported

Device does not support Self Test logging

By way of update, I replaced the boot drive, and it now works correctly.

So I assume it was indeed a failing drive.

Hello @sm31, glad to know you found the issue! Please let us know if you have any further questions.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.